front brake on bent springer fork?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to fit 26" bent springer forks on my electra rat rod.. proving fairly difficult to get in the UK so having to get them shipped from the US.

Now i want to keep my front BMX style break but can't mount it on the bottom of the forks.

looking round I've seen the bicycledesigner.com has a brake kit but as i already have the brake i just need to mount it.

any one done this them selves?

i know electra do a springer fork so not sure how or if they allow you to mount it

I dont' think the bent springer forks are designed for a brake. The US doesn't require 2 brakes on bikes. You may find a caliper(bmx) brake that will work but I could not tell you where to look. A disc brake version would be much easier but expensive to figure out.

By the way- there are mix reviews about that site you posted.

http://www.chainganglowrider.com/Search ... asp?Cat=37

looking at the kit u spoke of , they are adding a mount to the rear fork tube to by clamping the tube . this could be done many differnt ways , but it also looks to me like the u brake that they are using is longer , not standard length u brake , in the pics the arms appear longer . but they are just using a piece of flat steel on the back and tubing on the front holding in place squeezing together on the rear fork tube ,using a clamping effect . the tube has a mounting hole for brake in place all u to mount u brake. hope this will help some , this is what i could learn from looking at the pic of kit u decsibed installed on bike on website.

thanks i'm gonna see what i can fabricate as longshort mentioned it's a flat steel back and a tube front to mount the brake.

wish i'd have found that link before i laced my order for the springer forks as already on route from US

Isn't easier to use a drum brake hub. Of course you will have to lace it but it will give the fork a better look. I think!

already have a coaster break on the back wheel so think i'll still go for the front mount. still waiting for the springer forks though

axsepul said:
Isn't easier to use a drum brake hub. Of course you will have to lace it but it will give the fork a better look. I think!

+1 on the drum- imho both form and function would be improved. :)

i would love to fit a drum brake but the forks have skint me as it is.... i would also need to pay some one to re build the wheel as i have never done it before

+2 on the drum brake – if I lived there in the UK I would have laced it up for you for the cost of material.

Here in NH I had my first custom bike frame welded by a local fender bender shop for two large pizzas!

Try and see if you can barter to have it laced?

How much do they charge in your area to lace up and true a wheel? Here at my LBS the owner who is about 120 years old charges .50 cents for each skinny spokes and .75 cents for each fat spoke and $5 dollars to lace it up and true it and does it in 5 minutes and 10 minutes if he has to drill the hub for the fatter spokes.

sadly not many independents left to many big shops taken over.... welding and metal work shouldn't be an issue as know a few people and at the minute not looking to change the frame.. i'm still too much of noob! I might just look out for a replacement wheel on ebay as they go for about the same price as a drum hub.

though have already spent too much and have loads to do as the list stands at:

vintage leather springer seat (needs some work to restore it)
chrome lay back seat post
2 x new white wall tyres

waiting for delivery of:
sturmey archer mini sports shifter (dead stock)
26" bent springer forks
new chrome fenders
chrome crank and chain ring
red chain
drag bar and grips
pedals

need to:
repaint red rims
fix broken spoke
fabricate clamp for brake on front
touch up paint work
some how remove the stickers from frame (or repaint)
reassemble entire bike with new parts

Latest posts

Back