Front chainring on a Nexus 7 speed?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gear is everyone else running for their front chainring with the Nexus 7 speed rear wheel? My wife's Kustom Kruiser has a 38 tooth with her 7. Pretty nice ride a little too low maybe. I just put my 7 speed on my Dyno with the stock 46t .... seems like too much high gear and not enough low off the line or up the hill. Maybe 40 42 or 44??

Great question, i didn't think of changing the front sprocket but my wife has a 46t on her i7 she wants want more tension through the gears, you can also change the rear sprocket. What gear combos work for people? And a bump on this thread

If I had a 7 speed I'd run a 16/52 or 8/26(for 1" pitch)like I do one my single speeds & 3 speeds. I like to go fast and don't mind having to put some effort into it. I mean if kids in the 20's-50's could pedal a bike with that gearing I suppose I can also.

Anything in the 40-44t range is good with a 22t in back, my cruiser 7 came with 52t/22t and it was stupid high gearing. The last 2 or 3 gears only useable downhill (and I singlespeed mountain bike on some really steep hills out here).

A Nexus-7 running 52/16 in top gear is 1.55x the gear inches of a singlespeed running 52/16, the equivalent of running roughly a 61/13t combo. Might want to try one of those exercise bike chainrings first.

I have a Nexus 7 and a 52T ring on my 1/2 ton '41 Schwinn. Not sure of the tooth count on the hub. It's stock so whatever it normally comes with. I live on flat ground so no hill issues. I run Bontrager Hanks with 75 lbs. of pressure and that bike will fly like the wind. :wink: Gary

My '09 Schwinn Classic Deluxe 7 has a 36t chainring, and I think a 20t cog. In this case, the gearing is stupid low, IMHO. 1st and 2nd gear are pretty much completely useless, except on very steep hills. I live a quarter mile up a 10% grade from the main street in my town, and I often do it in 3rd. I was thinking of changing to a 52t chainring, for appearance reasons (the 36T ring looks stupid behind the Phantom-style chain guard), and a 24t cog to partially offset the difference. I think that would put my ratios right where I'd want them.

yoothgeye said:
Can someone give me a Nexus7 so that I can weigh in on this important issue?
Man! You missed the Electra Bikes practically giving them away? :wink: I will keep my eyes out for ya! :shock:

i went with the 40-22 ratio on my Dyno Glide. It seems to be a great combination for the weight of the bike. Good - hill climbing lows, nice cruisin mids and sweet downhill highs!
Thanks for all the input.

Back