Front Disc on a Cruiser (CGLR 1" threaded disc fork)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see anyone else posting pics of the chainganglowrider 's disc fork in action, so here goes :

_DSC0330-2.jpg

The tire is a Maxxis 26x2.5 Hookworm and clears just fine. I used spacers so I could run a normal 1 1/8" threadless mountain bike stem I had laying around.

The only difficulty I had was in the caliper carrier (the little black adapter between the caliper and the fork). I had to flip it around from the orientation the brake was used in on a mountain bike. I also had to use some washers between it and the fork. The brakes are some circa-2000 Hayes "champagne" hydraulic disc brakes.

This is my daily driver. The idea behind this bike is that I can leave it locked up in San Francisco and everything should still be on the bike when I come back :)
The coaster brakes couldn't keep up with the hills around here, so I figured I'ld throw these old disc's on there.

_DSC0319.jpg

_DSC0322-2.jpg

_DSC0333.jpg

-m

That's pretty cool!. I wish there were a few more forks on the market (for cruisers) that fit a disk brake caliper. I run a 3 inch tire up front so even a lot of the MTB forks wont work. Dang.

Donovan said:
That's pretty cool!. I wish there were a few more forks on the market (for cruisers) that fit a disk brake caliper. I run a 3 inch tire up front so even a lot of the MTB forks wont work. Dang.

Yeah, a little fatter at the top would be nice, but it would have to taper in to fit the hub. I don't think a 3" would fit on this, but probably a 2.75". The "2.5" i have on there is bigger than a normal mtn bike 2.5 and fits fine.

-m

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I just saw your Q mclark... here's the same fork with a standard 26x2.125. Might be able to get a fender in there, but it'd be tight.

IMG_20140209_123354-1.jpg~320x480

Back