Front drum brakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one on my Flatliner. You get a little extra braking with them, but like in your car don't expect disc brake performance from a drum. Installation is a piece of cake. You just need to be sure the brake arm is secured to the fork.
404258_10150792173335278_118735470277_12271260_228112349_n.jpg

The cool factor is way high, plus securing the arm and running the cable looks to be about it. Im thinkin' that the dynamics of a brake working at the hub may have some torque effect on the spoke pattern and gauge compared to a rim scrubber???

gcrank1 said:
Im thinkin' that the dynamics of a brake working at the hub may have some torque effect on the spoke pattern and gauge compared to a rim scrubber???

That is true. You wouldn't want a radially laced wheel with a hub brake. And most of the drum brakes I have come across are drilled for heavy spokes.

I got one off of a moped at the salvage yard. It cost me $3. It works so well that I rarely use the coaster brake on the Nexus 7 rear hub. I had to cut slots in the 11mm axle to clear the fork ends but other than that it was no problem. I even used the original spokes that came on the regular hub but laced them in a different pattern. I need some red stripes like udall has. 8) Gary
008a.jpg

Thanks for the input. Kinda low on funds right now & trying to put this thing together on the cheap. I'll pick one up when finances permit. Gonna be so cool & functional too. 8)

Latest posts

Back