Front Fork ?s

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I'm starting my first build and have a few questions...

I'm startin' to tear apart a Huffy MTB that I've picked up for my first build and I would like to swap out the front forks to a springer front end. This bike has 24" wheels and I haven't ran across any springer front ends for 24" wheels, only the 26"ers. I've ran across this fork but don't know if it would fit the huffy I have... http://www.piratecycles1.com/sunlite-sp ... studs.html

Maybe someone could help me out and shed some light on the sizing and fitment of the forks to different frames before I order something that won't work out for me in the end. - I hope I will be able to swap out the front end to a springer but if not... I'll fig something else out along the way.

Here are a few pics of the bike:

Original:
2202284060107107019S600x600Q85.jpg

Now w/ the seat relocated:
2012207710107107019S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow, now thats a set-back seatpost!
Is that fork on the bike a threadless or threaded steering stem? If its threadless, is it 1" or 1 18" OD? This info ill help determine your best replacement to order.
You have a lot of straight lines and triangles going on there, to kind of 'follow a theme' you might want to try not to mix curvey stuff and straight stuff (I know that gets real hard to do with round wheels, though).

There are tons of straight lines... and I hope to keep going w/ the straight lines. I've taken the bars which are on it now and turned them to where the slight curve is more downward now and I'll be choppin' a couple of inches off the bar ends to shortin up the whole length of the bars overall. I hope to get the bike stripped down a lil' more this weekend along with removing all the org. paint and stickers for the most part.

This is my first run on a bike like this... So when I get to the house I'll take a look at the stem now that I know a little more of what to look for to determin what fork(s) I will be able to use.

I think you could make a real rad looking ride by emulating the leaf spring ( from out under the bottom of the fork crown) to a pair of support rods up from the axle. It would kind of balance the theme of the set-back seat and minimize the expense 'cause you still can use the existing fork. (But that just me, Its your ride :D )

Latest posts

Back