Full Restoration Question(s)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How important is it to use original (era) parts for restorations? I am working on a '67 Breeze for a co worker and she needs a new front axle and cones. Everything else looks fine. Is it cool to use aftermarket parts in this case or try to find an axle set from that time? The axle is actually stamped -
Schwinn Approved
Germany
1-67

- which is so cool.

And as far as my project is concerned, how bad is it to repaint a frame? I saw something on here about a place that sells the original Schwinn colors (or used to anyway). Would something like that be cool or should I try to restore the paint as much as possible? Or just match the color as best as I can?
Thanks.

FWIW, and IMHO, unless it is done the same way the factory did, it isnt real, just a simulation of what it started as. A decent original paint is still orig., even if scarred a bit, and a repaint is just a repaint.
As for 'internal mechanicals', try to find good or NOS originals, but its OK to use new stuff until you get the 'right stuff', then swap out.
Now, that said, if it isnt a concours resto you have some leeway for practicality. Be aware of the terms refurbishing vs restoring. A lot of what is advertised as restored is really not.

Word. Thank you, I'll keep all that in mind.

So what about miscellaneous parts like spokes and nipples? Or various bolts/nuts/washers?

Does she use the Breeze as a daily rider?....or is she seeking to have it returned to original and then display/show it?

If she is simply looking to make it a safe and enjoyable rider, I personally see no harm in utilizing off-the-shelf parts (spokes, washers, etc.)....otherwise you will spend significant time and money tracking down that NOS washer that the average Joe will never notice anyway.

sleepy said:
Does she use the Breeze as a daily rider?....or is she seeking to have it returned to original and then display/show it?

If she is simply looking to make it a safe and enjoyable rider, I personally see no harm in utilizing off-the-shelf parts (spokes, washers, etc.)....otherwise you will spend significant time and money tracking down that NOS washer that the average Joe will never notice anyway.

Daily rider...probably not. Occasional rider...more likely. She found it (for free - :x ) and I was just going to clean it up and make it rideable for her. I was just asking for if she sells it in the future and for my knowledge, on my bikes.

Thanks for your responses!

Ahhhh,....now that pretty well sets you up to use off the shelf to make a nice rider. Keep as many of the cleaned up main parts as possible, just spiffed and waxed, and she will have a nice classic bike with (as they say) a few sensible mods. BTW, do keep all the original parts bagged/boxed with it 'just in case' someone thinks that is important somewhere in the future.

gcrank1 said:
BTW, do keep all the original parts bagged/boxed with it 'just in case' someone thinks that is important somewhere in the future.

Word. I was planning on doing that anyway. Thanks.

Back