full suspension stretch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This amazingly bootyfab bike was a culmination of whatever I had laying around.

'60s sears 26"
swingarm off of a 24" NEXT wallmart bike I found in my dumpster
fat messenger seat
booger-welded rat trap from kids bmx, thats a 26" rim stuck in it and I think I can make it work with a 26x1.75 tire without rubbing
straight apes and stem from '77 Schwinn Exerciser, need a bit of bend put in them
random bits of tube from a junk 20" cantilever frame
24" S-2 rim with a drum brake 5 speed cassette hub, dont have spokes, hub needs brake work

The parts pile

DSC_0004.jpg

initial mock up

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

chopped out seatpost tube

DSC_0014.jpg

used some 4" wide 1/4" thick flat stock to start making the shock mount

DSC_0020.jpg

used some smaller flatstock for the cross piece and tabs

DSC_0025.jpg

welded the seat tube back on going straight out the back

DSC_0029.jpg

made some supports out of old kids frame bits, old chrome stingray seat post with a junk drawer 7" bolt pounded in to make it solid

DSC_0033.jpg

assembled again for mock up.

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Now I need to actually buy stuff. 24x2.125 cheng shin whitewall out back, 26x1.75 up front, drum brake shoes, heavy spokes to lace the back. I need to clean up the bb, decide if I want to weld on a different bottom bracket further forward in the frame so the pedals don't scrape, plus my knees would hit my chin if I left it where it is. I will need to slot the big plate in the right side for chain clearance, smooth out my crappy mig welds, decide on paint, brake cable, shifter, decide if I want to put a briggs and stratton in there... :)

I like how instead of being able to adjust the seat up and down for height, you can push it back for more stretch. haha very cool 8)

next month I'll start buying the parts I need to finish it, it will be a slow build because I'm not home from college all that often but I will post updates when they are due

It's allways amazing,what you can do with old stuff from a dumpster. And to be honest,it looks cool. The rear-end suits the bike. Good lines.
Eager to see more pics. Way to go, dude! 8)

Back