Fun with rattlecans

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took yesterday and the day before that off from building the 18 and played a little with stencils and spraypaint! :D
I've been curious to see what could be done with rattlecans, for a while, and searched the web to see what other's have done. Seen some clips on youtube of guys painting mostly space images, and found some of their techniques interesting although I do think most of them use them in somewhat limited ways and their paintings are too symmetrical and often just feel like copies of what they've already done, or what someone else's done. Oh, I almost got sidetracked there! Anyway, I also searched the web for images made with spraypaint and stencils. Most pictures I found are graffiti using only one or two stencils, but some use that technique to make paintings too, and this is when I couldn't resist giving it a try myself! :D I decided that my first try would be a fish, because I figured that would give a good opportunity to see how I could make different layers interact (shades, scales, highlights etc.)
So I drew a sketch of a fish, scanned it and printed out 9 copies, cut the stencils and got going!

The sketch:
Firre1.jpg

I made the backround using a techniqe I saw on youtube, spraying different colours on top of each other without letting each layer dry and while the paint was still wet I used a page from a magazine to lift the paint.
Firre2.jpg

Then it was stencil time!
Firre3.jpg

Firre4.jpg

Firre5.jpg

Went back to tone down the white a little...
Firre6.jpg

Firre7.jpg

Firre8.jpg

Firre9.jpg

Firre10.jpg

Firre11.jpg

Firre12.jpg

I learned that when using regular copying paper for the stencils, I had to work quickly when spraying and removing the stencil because the solvents in the paint would go through the paper and mess up the underlying layer. That happened on a few of the layers and I had to go back and do some touching up on some of them. The silver layer (the scales) for example is therefore a little thicker than I wanted it to be. Oh well, I've learned until next time. :)

Used a brush to paint black outlines. Strangely enough I haven't seen any stencil paintings on the web with brushpainted outlines but I wanted to do that on this one anyway. My picture, my rules! :mrgreen:
Firre13.jpg

Close-up. Oops forgot the end of the whisker!
Firre14.jpg

Added some gold...
Firre15.jpg

...and some white.
Firre16.jpg

Close-up of the finished fish!
Firre17.jpg

Hope this could spark some inspiration for you! I'm sure using stencils could work on a chainguard, for example, otherwise the technique could easily be adapted to use with masking tape. Happy painting everybody!:D

Wow, that came out really nice, and is really impressive that you were using spray cans. I really like the style too and it reminds me slightly of Alphonse Mucha with the gold outlining. The techniques you are using are similar to what they use in airbrushing. I haven't done much air brushing but sometimes they use stuff called frisket film for stencils and might work better then paper. It is clear and has a super light adhesive to it. I used it a long time ago to get super clean shapes when painting with gouache and it works pretty good.

Very impressive work for a first effort. You have to do more! I can't wait to see your painting method used on a bike.

Jen, you better get some stencils made up and get started. You now have Galt to show you the way. Gary

Oh wow! :shock: Thanks everybody for the positive feedback! Glad you like it! :D

I guess there are some Mucha elements in this picture, with the art deco kind of style going on. :) I've heard frisket film being mentioned someplace before but I didn't know exactly what it was, thanks for the info, it might come in handy!!

At first I didn't mean to make a cute little fish at all, but a monstrous and scary looking one, but as I was sketching along the fish lost both the big sharp teeth and the staring gaze. :lol: I guess I'll have to make another picture of this one's rabid cousin some other time. :)

And oh yeah, there sure is an end to my talents, it's just that if I show you only a tiny bit at a time I might be able to make it look like more and also last a little longer... :lol:

It's fun to try new stuff like this (new to me anyway) because it triggers new ideas of how to use it and what could be done with it. I have an idea for a picture with peonys that I think I'll try to do next. We'll see what comes out of it!

Thanks again everybody for the kind words, and go for it and try it yourself if you feel like it! It's a lot of fun and not very difficult at all! :)

Bring 'em on! I'll unleash my guard fish from the darkest depths on them... :lol:
Fulfirre1.jpg

This photo got a little blurry, but I guess it's good enough to give an idea what it looks like.
Fulfirre2.jpg

And as everyone can see, that's not a peony. :lol: I felt inspired to do another fish, more like what I had in mind for the first one, before that one became a cute little fellow. :D

I used heavier paper for the stencils this time, and it worked great!

Looks Sweet. I played around with rattle cans a while back and came up with stuff I was proud of. I don't know if I have any pics anymore, I will have to check. This is the style I was doing, this one is not mine though.
[imghttp://www.freewebs.com/spaceartnz/Solitaire.jpg][/img]

Transparency film (for overhead projectors) works good for stencils. You can pick it up at office supply stores and print on it with laserjet printers and copiers.

Thanks! :D It was when I saw clips on youtube of how those pictures are made that I got inspired to try and see what I could come up with. The technique of layering different colours on top of each other and smear or lift them with paper or plastic wrap for different effects was what really triggered my imagination!
Thanks for the tip about using overhead film for the stencils! :)

Thank you very much! :D

I used five stencils for the ugly fish.
Fulfirreshabloner.jpg

Here's the order I used them:
Top left is the first with the bodyshape of the fish.
Top middle is the scales.
Top right is fins, eyes and nostrils.
Bottom left is the silver on the fins and eye.
Bottom right is highlights on the eyes and the teeth.

Hope this made sence! :D

Haha yep, it took a while to cut all those scales on the second stencil! :lol: Actually I haven't spent any time with an airbrush, it's all spraycan except for the outlines and the jellyfish that were brushpainted. :D

Latest posts

Back