Fundraiser Stingray build FINISHED 4/21

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on building a stingray up and raffling it off at a local autism walk, 100% of the money will be going to Walk Now For Autism. I pretty much have everything I need except a banana seat and some small odds and ends. For now I'm uncertain of the final color or design, I'm waiting to hear from walk now to see if they have any stickers that I can go off of for a color scheme.

Here's what I have so far:
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

And I still have the old wheels/tires off of this:
bikes-8.jpg

If anyone has a nanner seat or cheapo stingray chainguard that they want to part with, let me know. Thanks

Re: Fundraiser Stingray build

Just a first mock up of the bike. I'm thinking of doing the frame and chainguard silver with tons of metalflake. Black rims, chrome spokes and hubs (single speed rear) with the whitewall tires. Zebra print seat with white grips. Not sure if I want to due a springer up front or just plain old stingray forks. Somehow I need to incorporate the autism puzzle piece and have a list of local shops who donated parts or helped with the build, maybe use the chainguard as my billboard.
IMG_0055.jpg

Wow, that is great! What a nice idea. Over in the classifieds, I saw a stingray seat perfect for the application amoungst other stuff. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11365

The seat is the third pic down. Good Luck with a great build!

EDIT:

There's a guard that might work in that same thread, sixth pic down.

I already have a seat coming for it, and that guard will only work for the smaller 7 hole stingray sprockets I believe. Thanks for the heads up though :wink:

Got some zebra material for the seat, this will be my first seat recover attempt. Wish me luck.
IMG_1699.jpg

The bike will now be raffled off at a Walk Now for Autism event in May. One of the local radio personalities is highly involved in the charity and has a child herself suffering from autism. She is all for getting this started, hopefully it helps to raise a lot of money.

Have a chainguard on the way (thanks murray eliminator) and my local powdercoater is going to do all the prep and powder for free :D Hopefully I'll have my seat done by the time I get the frame back and get some progress pics.

hey necessary, i like what youve done so far! what if you did a tank plate and used that and the chain guard as bilboards? the tank plate would look really cool and VERY custom. just my 2cents!

Easy E

I plan on using the flat forks off of the blue stingray above, the springer just does not look right. I had thought about using the chainguard and possibly a tank plate to advertise the people who helped out, but I think I might just make a nice board and isle to advertise. The bike will have the schwinn stingray decals on it and the autism puzzle piece somewhere, I want to keep it clean and simple.

Got my chainguard today and mocked it up along with regular forks, looks alot better now I think. Now it's off to the powdercoater's this weekend.
IMG_0058.jpg

He thinks he can get metalflake silver powder that will resemble this:
metalflake-silver-large-1.jpg

That wasn't a 20'' springer was it? Looks long... great idea, the fundraiser.

Well, my powdercoater had no luck with metalflake silver (apparently it's a very uncommon color) so now the bike is going to be candy blue metallic. I'm not sure how the zebra seat cover will look with this color so I may switch to leopard or tiger skin, I'll post pics of the frame when I get it back and see what you guys think.

Well, just found out today that waterslide decals will not stick to powdercoating. Luckily the frame has only been sandblasted and not coated. I guess I'm going to just have a buddy spray it in his booth now. The color has changed once again, metallic black, white decals, tiger seat, exxon tiger tail, white grips, whitewall tires. The autism symbol is a blue puzzle piece so I need to incorporate that in as well.

I do love those orange Krates, my favorite krate color. What a nice idea, I can't wait to see finished pictures. May I ask you what brand tires those are? Is that one of the repro Duro muscle bike slick sets? I have a 1968 orange Krate myself that I would like to get ride-able eventually, and the current tires are trashed. It had a redline slik originally- is somebody re-making those? The only ones I've seen have been expensive originals... ANy advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris S.

There was actually an original schwinn whitewall slick that just sold on ebay for like $77. My tires are just offbrand whitewalls, I think they are Duro as you mentioned. You're pretty much stuck buying a Schwinn Superior (or superior knock-off) for the front, but you have no limitations on the back tire. I'd just buy a cheap plain jane schwinn slick and orange line/white letter it yourself.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I think I will end up buying a repro RWL slick and a Schwinn superior or one of the Black letter sliks like those on the new Wal Mart stingrays... those would probably be really inexpensive, and they seem like good quality.

A sneak peek of the paint, Root Beer! Just needs to dry overnight, then decals, then clearcoat.

IMG_0062.jpg

Got the clear down last night (about 15 coats) and it's almost dry. Looks really good out in the sun.
IMG_0087.jpg

Back