fyi

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought a micargi puma 3.0(picture in fresh finds)may 19th from lighten up bikes out of georgia.received it on may 25th out of california.with camera in hand I unpacked and saw that both fenders were strapped to rear wheel on the bottom of the box.the bolts from front fender left 2 big dents on rear fender.took photos sent them to dealer on the 25th. assembled bike on the 26th took out for a cruise in the park,applied the coaster brake and SQUEEEEELLL,SQUAAL ,used my shoes to stop it all the way.call the dealer on the 26th about the back brake,he says will call micargi about fenders and back wheel.well 2 weeks go by nothing shows up from ups nothing from the dealer.send an email trying to get an update,no reply.phone call gets answering machine.since I paid with paypal,I open a dispute asking for either the parts or take the bike back and get a refund.the dealer declines the refund right away.states fender is on the way,release his money.I tell him it will not be released until I get a tracking number for the parts.well on the 8th of june I get a tracking number for fender that had left on the 4th.and wheel won't be at micargi til july 1st. seems to me a bike shop in georgia would have 24 inch coaster wheel in stock.latest is he wants to know if I want to return bike,but states nothing about a refund.just thought I would share this wonderful online bike shop experience.

Just another FYI that Micargi (also known as Micrappy) bikes are considered to be some of the lowest quality bikes available. Here in SoCal they are known for breaking down in the first year. Look out for loose spokes, bent spokes after going over curbs, loose bolts/screws and so on. Most dealers get them for 1/3 the price they sell them for, and aren't in it for the joy of selling good bikes for a good price.
I would try to return it for a refund if I were you.

I'd never heard of this brand before I saw this post, so I just checked them out. I'm into old scooters and these bikes remind me of the Chinese scooters that have been flooding the US market for a few years. They look a lot like $5000 Italian scooters, but are 1/4 the price and quality. Chinese built stuff CAN be decent, but it's usually priced accordingly. If it's cheaper than you think it should be, it's probably crap. Buy American and support local bike shops.

While I do love to support Karfer and College Cyclery I have bought 4 bikes (2 got stolen) from either beachbikes.net or chubys Cruisers. I don't think any were micargi's but I had great luck with them all.

From what I have read about them,(Micargi) mostly at RRB, they aren't even as good as $90.00-150.00 dept. store bikes. Strangely, there are some reviews out there which rave about their "quality" and price, but they run about $100.00 more than similar Pacific bikes. I wonder if they're written by shills, or just people lucky enough to get better examples, or who don't ride much.

about the buy american support local bike shops thing.there are no american made stretch cruisers,local bike shops in my area do not sell my kind of bike.I owned a nirve chopper that the rear wheel coaster hub actually seperated while I was going down hill.they replaced it within 3 days.I spent 1600 on a specialized fatboy and got no better quality .so I don't think the price has anything to do with it.I just checked this guys return policy and he has a 30 day absolute satifaction guarantee,but it's funny as soon as I opened the paypal claim his first response was refund declined

gcbike said:
about the buy american support local bike shops thing.there are no american made stretch cruisers,local bike shops in my area do not sell my kind of bike.I owned a nirve chopper that the rear wheel coaster hub actually seperated while I was going down hill.they replaced it within 3 days.I spent 1600 on a specialized fatboy and got no better quality .so I don't think the price has anything to do with it.I just checked this guys return policy and he has a 30 day absolute satifaction guarantee,but it's funny as soon as I opened the paypal claim his first response was refund declined

I agree. Really what is the point of buying American when many of their parts come from the very place we we gripe about cheap bikes coming from? Realistically, there is no "American" to buy from unless you know a guy who makes custom built frames in his garage. Even then you gotta buy all the moving parts. The only thing we can do is assume that the parts we buy are junk and go over them really well when we get them. From front to back, top to bottom. Or we can start manufacturing our own parts here.

sojudave said:
...assume that the parts we buy are junk and go over them really well when we get them. From front to back, top to bottom.
Exactly. S.O.P. :|

the bike is packed (way better than it was)and in it's box,waiting for the new fender to come on ups today.will put that in the box also and ship it to georgia.for a mear $98 .and we'll see how big a fight they put up about giving back the money.I will send the tracking number to paypal

It is true that not much is made in America anymore. I was meaning buy old American. For the price of a $100-$200 junk China bike you should be able to get a vintage American made bike which has already survived decades and will last decades more. It might need some re-greasing or minor work, but it beats replacing bad parts on a brand new bike with different bad parts they send you. Plus, you're not contributing to the mining and refining of the metals, the nasty chemicals from the paint and chrome going into the air and water, possible slave labor depending where it's made, fossil fuels being burned to ship it here, etc. It's much better to save a great old bike from the landfill. And if it needs some work, take it to your LBS and support your local economy. China has enough of our money.

I'm not trying to rip on anyone, I'm a fair guy. Just trying to get people thinking.

I just noticed yesterday that my wife's daily bike is a micargi. It's a 3 speed (nexus) so maybe that ups the quality a little and it was more than $100. She's ridden it 6 months a year for 2 years to work everyday and it's just fine. Just needs air in the tires occasionally.

I have three "micrappy" bikes currently...2 stretches and an around towner and I haven't had any problems in the year I've had them...People enjoy riding them too... Treat your bikes well and they'll love ya back :D

~Mike
"Loves his China Cruisers"

What other streached cruisers are there. Synod and kustom a are hard to find and cost a lot. Any help would be nice. What a streached project real bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, you might want to change the subject of your post so people know what it's about without opening it.

In bikes the old rule that "you get what you pay for" is actually pretty accurate. I do know people with Micargis that are happy with them but they've pretty much changed everything but the frame. One LBS sells them and when you look at the welds, they aren't very pretty but probably not dangerous. It's real easy to spend a lot replacing all the cheap parts with good ones. There are American made stretches. Check out GoCruiserGo. You'll pay more for a frame than you will a complete Micargi but that's the nature of building at small scale. Plus they go the extra mile to make sure the frame is going to fit you.

I think it would be more accurate to say, "you don't get what you don't pay for", as I've got very serious doubts that the people buying $5000 mountain bikes are getting their money's worth. I see a lot of what were once very expensive bikes in good condition selling for a fraction of their original price just because they're 10 or more years old. Mostly mountain bikes, roadies don't seem to be quite so fickle.

Many custom guys out there building frames and complete bikes. when you look at what you get for the money it is way more cost effective to go the custom route. Yes a frame may run $350-$600 +++ but you are getting a one of a kind bike built to your specs. You can add your own parts slowly as your budget allows and have a piece of rolling art when you are done.
Of course there are stretch frame options with Ruff Cycle and the Project 346 bikes but here are a couple more ideas

Forum Member = deven_science
http://lowlifebikes.com/
https://www.facebook.com/LowtideCustoms
http://gocruisergo.com/

Even on good bikes I usually switch out wheels, hubs, tires and any other pieces that were budget oriented.
What I have seen of micargi is not the best, spotty welds, crooked tubes, and see thru paint! But.....
For a daily driver that most likely will be hit, stolen, or just vandalized, china cruisers are the best street fighters.

Back