Galaxy (Randor) late 70s or early 80s cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Galaxy off craigslist about a year ago. It was a $30 beater within 5 miles of home. Tried to find info on it and its pretty sparse. Compared it to a few others found on line and it looks like it was mostly original (frame/fork/stem/bars/crank/sprocket/chrome wheels). It was spraybombed a maroon color ( and I mean spraybombed, head badge, backside of sprocket and crank, kickstand, some of the spokes and the stem were all covered. Came with the phat bike chain guard and some really old cracked tires. I initially cleaned it up, but hated the spraybomb and couldn't decide what to do with it.

Tried stripping it and the original paint was underneath, at least sum of it was but not enough to save, a transparent red. thought about powder coating it a similar color (maybe later). So I spraybombed it in flat black and flat yellow like my schwinn stingray when I was a kid. It's easy to touch up this way...

Regreased wheel bearings/crank/head tube, installed new chain, donor pedals and fairdale bmx bars with haro grips. I scavenged the tires off another beater bike I had, 26x2.25 which barely clears the rear stays, and a $5 seat from goodwill. The front wheel I swapped from the parts bin, a cruiser wheel (3/8in axle versus the original 5/16 in), steel wooled the 12 gauge spokes and covered the babyblue rim with black spraybomb.

It's been kinda fun just throwing parts on to try things, and it's become my goto beach cruiser/klunker when I visit mom at Newport Beach. Ride the early weekend mornings from Newport, taking the Balboa ferry and up to Huntington Beach and back. Turns out that Snafu seat is not comfy on the cruiser, so swapped a beatup Selle seat and duct tape - much better!

Attachments

• Apache_junction_30A.jpg
    Apache_junction_30A.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230506_RightSide.jpg
    20230506_RightSide.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 0
  • headbadge.jpg
    headbadge.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • headbadge_cleaned.jpg
    headbadge_cleaned.jpg