Gas bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, i was woundering if i could put a gas motor on a 20 inch bike. I think ive seen it befor but not to sure if the frame is big enough. Ill be useing an old school schwinn stingray frame! If anyone can help me out i thank you!!! Also what would be a good site to buy the kit from? Also about what size engine should i use?

Thanks again!

Doc

depending on the frame itself, ya might get away with it.

that being said, you'll have to do some measuring ahead of time.
engine clearence,rear sproket clearence,chain clearence are all going to be very tight to say the least.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f ... 7-1709.jpg

your best bet would be to use a an older schwinn replica frame. like what they use for lowrider bikes. Go with a 50cc motor because it will have a better chance of clearance. If I were you I would not not go any smaller than a 24" bicycle. From what I have noticed, the 20" bmx frames are way to narrow. That's not to say you might not be able to use a friction drive set up on it but I personally don't like the way they look.

Thanks for the heads up. Ive been trying to find a 24 inch bike in that "lowrider" style but have had no luck...

well, I can't seem to find actual 24" frames, but there are tons of 26" frames. So I don't really see why you couldn't put some 24's on one of those frames. Is there any particular reason you don't want to use 26" wheels? Just curious.

Well im into lowrider bikes. Mostly 20 inch lowriders. I cant find many lowrider parts for 24 and 26 inch bikes. Plus i live in the middle of noware so i cant find parts at all! I usually have to have shhit shipped to me. it sucks! Plus i think a motor on a tiny 20 inch bike would be rad! AND FAST!

thanks for all your help guys. :lol:

cool I can dig that. So a stingray style frame should do the trick. I can't say if a 20" would be faster than a larger bike, I think wheel diameters affect speed though. I know of several people that have done this to OCC chopper bikes and a 20" lowrider would look slick...you know, maybe the size doesn't really matter... mopeds use 14" wheels.

Using the same gear on a 26" and a 20", the twenty would yield more power, but probably lower top speed, as you have effectively given it a lower gear. Here's a place where you can probably get more info. on frame size/fitment.
http://motorbicycling.com/

I just finished mine and my son's gassers.

His is a no name 24 inch ten speed with MTB wheels, mine is a 26 inch huffy.

4506136639_99071cf27d_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back