Gathering Parts, need some input.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey whats up fellas. I have been kicking the idea of building a motorized bike around for a while. I am still in the process of gathering parts and have researching engine kits, I found one that I am going to pick up, because of this I figured I could go ahead and update my old Schwinn prewar s2's.

I want to throw on some fat frank tires seeing as how I am a pretty heavy guy, I am about 220ish, so I was wondering if I should go ahead and go with some Felt wide wheels to handle my weight and the weight of the new little engine. OR, is there another set of wide heavy duutyish wheels that you guys can recommend?

Here is the one I have been looking at. I would prefer one that has a back sprocket that attaches to the wheel instead of being sandwiched in using those rubber disk things, Can you guys recommend one?
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/phantom- ... p-337.html

Thanks in advance guys
Joe.

A few ways to avoid using the rag joint sprocket mount. One way is to use a rear wheel with a six bolt disk brake mount. Kings sells sprockets that fit the disk mount. A second way is to get a clam shell sprocket mount like the ones offered by Manic Mechanic. The clam shell clamps to your hub, instead of the spokes. The third way is to use a jackshaft/shift kit from Sick Bike Parts. The motor will then power your pedal drive parts with the jack shaft.

I went with a sprocket mounted to a disk wheel. I had to trim my disk brake mount about 1/4 inch because my old Western Flyer just wasn't designed for such a wide hub.

If you want to see pictures and vendors of this stuff, go to one of the motorized bicycle forums.

Thanks for the info an, wow, I swore i was in the bikes with motors forum! haha... What an idiot.

The easiest thing to do is to make a new post in the bikes with motors sub-forum that contains a link to this one. You can also email the site administrator with a link to your post. He should be able to move it to the bikes with motors sub-forum.

Back