General guidelines for a first time build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsd

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking through numerous threads trying to find some basic questions before I jump into this for the first time.

I want to keep things fairly cheap for my first bike but I would like to get new forks and a set of 3" tires.

Question 1:
Will Chopper Bike forks fit on any frame? Say I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $100 26" Cruiser will the forks fit on that?

Question 2:
From what I've read on here people are using 24x3 tires on 26" bikes instead of 26x3. Is that correct? If so, again will those fit on any generic bike frame?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

jsd said:
I've been looking through numerous threads trying to find some basic questions before I jump into this for the first time.

I want to keep things fairly cheap for my first bike but I would like to get new forks and a set of 3" tires.

Question 1:
Will Chopper Bike forks fit on any frame? Say I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $100 26" Cruiser will the forks fit on that?

Question 2:
From what I've read on here people are using 24x3 tires on 26" bikes instead of 26x3. Is that correct? If so, again will those fit on any generic bike frame?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

What you need to look at on the forks is the length and diameter of the forks' steer tubes. As long as your new forks are the same length and diameter. Steer tubes can be lengthened or shortened, bushings can be purchased to compensate for smaller (than original) diameter. But the easiest way is to measure the ST on the bike before buying the forks.

24x3 tires on 24" wheels have an overall diameter that is close to that of a 26x2.125 wheel, but they are wider. They should fit, but some minor tweeking may be needed. 26x3 tires require either a frame built for them or some modification to the frame for them to fit.

hey welcome 2 the site man ....where u at n illinois ....r u gonna make it 2 the swap meet show in pontiac this sunday ? its advertised in the event section !!!!

this is a walmart huffy frame with an OCC fork. 24 X 3" on back is a tight fit.The fork is from the smaller "chopper" and fit without mods and a 26 x 3" tire will fit
100_1512.jpg

I agree, 24 x 3 would be the way to go. 26 x 3 are huge tires, I had to extend the forks and frame on my highboy to fit them. Crude, but a lot of fun.

349cmyu.jpg

Thanks for all the input!

@Markm...that bike and the Widowmaker are the two I've been looking at as inspiration.

@mikesbikes36...I'm down by St. Louis. I wish I had known about the meet early I would have totally gone!

Back