Genesis Onyx 29er Build!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first cruiser style bike, a Genesis Onyx from Walmart. I like the bike, but I would love to get some fat tires on it. Since it has 29" tires, what would my best route be? I don't want to bust the bank for a Walmart bike if it isn't going to be worth it. If I could keep the 29" wheels then that would be optimal because Genesis is sending me two new wheels because mine were bent during shipping. If I had to get new wheels, would 26's look much different and what would my best option be? I just saw the 3G Bikes copper wheels with the BOA-G tires and they look pretty awesome but aren't exactly cheap. I've also seen motorcycle tires used on some bikes but I don't know how that works at all.. I have very limited knowledge concerning bicycles but I would love to learn, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the process of painting the frame flat black and replacing the seat and grips, so I'm really excited to see how this thing turns out.

Thank you!
-Cody

Re: Genesis Onyx 29er Tires

I picked up a used one of those that needed a good going over. I would ride those tires for awhile to see how you like it first. They are 2.125, so they have some width to them. I add a few extra psi over the max and they roll a little better. Also check the width of the forks and dropouts to see how much wider, and a little taller, the bike can handle.

technically any 29er tire or 700c hybrid tire will work. I got a good deal on some 40c reverse whitewalls...black sidewall, white tread.
bbc1-1.jpg

They worked pretty well, and made the bike less sluggish feeling as well : )

When I say "fat" I was thinking 3.5" and above. The forks have the necessary room for a really wide tire which I think would look awesome on this bike. Maybe I'm trying to do something with this walmart bike that just isn't worth the $ or time, but until I reach a serious barrier I'm going to try and make this work. Since I have a new pair of 29" front and rear wheels coming in the mail from Genesis, maybe I could sell those to someone on the forum and just buy wide 26" wheels and tires. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
-Cody

Take a look at what Uncle Stretch wrote (Looking for bigger tires) in the "Show Me Your" section.

Past a 3" wide tire you'll likely have to start playing games with your chainline, offfset cogs wider bottom bracket etc. Surly has a new one out its a 29x3 called the Knard, $$$ and an mtb tire though.

I'm off tomorrow, so here's what I'll do. I have a set of Kenda 26 x 3 tires on beach cruiser rims, run of the mill type. I'll put them on my 29er (just like yours but no fenders) and see how they fit. I may even run with it like that. I'll post up some pics tomorrow night.

The 26 x 3 fit with plenty of room, except at the chain stays. They cleared by only 1/4 inch on each side. The rim better be perfectly straight. The 29er tire is a couple inches taller and the spacing is a little wider at that height, so a 3" width tire would fit better at the 29" size than the 26".

wit2sx.jpg

I've decided to order the 57mm copper wheels and BOA-G tires from 3G Bikes. Fingers crossed that it will fit with no issues.. Is there anything I can do to make them fit better? I'm the ultimate newbie with this stuff but I can usually figure it out if given enough time. That being said, I've got two pairs of Genesis Onyx 29" wheels for sale. One of the pairs is brand new in box (no tires) and the other pair is brand new (with tires) but both front and rear are a little bent (probably an easy fix). I'm going to post them in the classifieds section at some point.

-Cody

On steel frames, the width for tire clearance can be adjusted manually a little without wrecking the frame. On aluminum, I'm not sure. On this bike though, there's tons of room except at the chainstays.

BAcQcb3CAAA_G8a.jpg:large

Got it tore apart and sanded today. Is there anything that I should replace while it's in pieces since it's a walmart bike? I'd rather replace the crappy parts now than have them fail later. I will be painting it flat black tomorrow and I'm hoping my novice painting skills won't be too noticeable.

-Cody

codyyarber said:
I've decided to order the 57mm copper wheels and BOA-G tires

Looking forward to seeing these on your Onyx....I'm planning the same for my Onyx this Spring. :D

x2, I'd like to see how they look on there. My back wheel may not last much longer so it'll probably have to go in a month or so.

socal_jack said:
Past a 3" wide tire you'll likely have to start playing games with your chainline, offfset cogs wider bottom bracket etc. Surly has a new one out its a 29x3 called the Knard, $$$ and an mtb tire though.

Well I got the tires and they fit, but it is extremely close. The chain rubs on the tire slightly and the tire rubs the chain stays slightly. I will post pictures later, but what options do I have for fixing these issues? I only need to make a tiny bit of room and all I know to do is spread the frame a little and try to get offset sprockets like this one..

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... Tires-20T/

Any help is always appreciated.

-Cody

I would think that there's a cheaper way to space out the rear cog. $30 seems a bit steep.
You should look for a cheap used aluminum crankset from a 10 speed. It will replace the crappy (from what I saw at Walmart) cranks it comes with and the way the chainwheel bolts to the drive crank it would be easy to set the front chainline.

check all the bearings for grease, bottom bracket, headset, and wheels

read about (or watch on youtube) how to set the bearing cones and do it yourself

I would replace just about everything on an Onyx as time and money allows, starting with the bottom bracket, headset, and then wheels. There's nothing wrong with used quality parts, as anything with a brand name other than just china will be a step up from what it came with.
Find a bike co-op type store closeby than sells used bikes and parts, or craigslist

All that said, I love the Onyx frame! I wanted to buy an Astra but after checking one out in store, I knew I would have to replace every component to be happy with it as a daily commuter.

BBK7eg-CMAAleaY.jpg:large

I know that it's a really crappy picture, and YES my front forks are backwards haha. I was really excited to get it together and wasn't paying attention. It's still a work in progress..

I'm trying to replace the crankset and bottom bracket. What bottom bracket should I get? I see the cartridge ones and they look nice, but will they fit this bike? I want one that is nice, easy to install, and will last.

Thanks, Cody

That looks just about like 3G cruiser with those wheels and tires on there.

Once it's finished, get some nice outdoor shots and show us the clearance that's you've got.

codyyarber said:
socal_jack said:

Well I got the tires and they fit, but it is extremely close. The chain rubs on the tire slightly and the tire rubs the chain stays slightly. I will post pictures later, but what options do I have for fixing these issues? I only need to make a tiny bit of room and all I know to do is spread the frame a little and try to get offset sprockets like this one.

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... Tires-20T/

Any help is always appreciated.

-Cody

If you just need a little bit of chain room try a Nexus 7 cog $10 and free shipping, probably between 1/4-3/8 offset, that 1/2" might cause problems also. There's other sizes besides the link.

What type of crank is on there, 3 piece? If it's square taper you can probably get a longer spindle to kick the chainring out a bit also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Nex...g-Silver-Internal-Gear-Bike-use-/380557367183

$T2eC16ZHJGIE9nnWrPtqBQ90s3UnTQ~~60_12.JPG

I am trying to decide between the Genesis 29er cruiser and the Torker 29er Cruiser. The Torker is &350 but it seems to be better quality. Any thoughts?
Thank you

Back