Geocacheing/ GPS device question?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know much about this. I got a Garmin 200w for fathers day. I havent opened it due to the fact Im leaning towards a hand held. Does anyone know of a good hand held for driving and hiking?
JT

Hey Ima Geocacher!
I don't know the model you are talking about, but from my observations, the driving GPS units and handhelds are 2 very different beasts...
I think you are really going to want a handheld in the woods.
We use a garmin etrax legend, its one of the cheapest handhelds, and it works great...

Does it work for driving directions...JT

I have the same one and there is a menu where you can choose three different modes. Driving, bicycle and walking. I'm not sure how it works off road though. I would say keep it for the car and pick up a basic etrex type model for hiking. I abuse my garmin in my truck. it makes driving for work so much easier.

I really want one that does both. But it looks like the cost and what it does, one verses the other isn't logical to do both. I mean, I can't expect to have one for driving and one for cacheing. I wish I cold but don't think I can afford both.

Here is what I'm narrowing down to.

eTrex Venture HC
or
e Trex Legend HCx

I think it's important to have a compass in the unit do ya'll?
JT

I could load maps onto my legend, but i haven't. (i use a mac at home and garmins mac support is poor)
Other than that, I really like it.

Have you been caching very long? Look us up on geocaching.com "m-t headed"
its great fun!

Not for long. Today was the first attempt. Here is what I got for a device. I got a e Trex Vista HCx. Seems good.
Today was two failures. I need to learn how to understand how to get to a ten foot range. I think it's going to take some time. I thought it would be easier. I bet it is. I just need some tutoring....
Any suggestions or pointers...
JT

Well, for the range, you have to remember on thing, if your device is within 10' its possible the hiders was the same. so depending on the day, the cache could be in a 20' circle where you are looking. does that make sense?
Just like anything, caching is all about experience, if you haven't been out with a veteran cacher, try to find a local meetup and get to know a couple others in the area, they can help greatly with bringing your success rate up!
Most of all, don't get frustrated!
You will get it, have fun!

:idea: for those of you that are curious about what were are talking about, check out http://www.geocaching.com
Geocaching, is a GPS powered, worldwide scavenger hunt. There are caches hidden everywhere, theres probably even a couple hidden along your favorite local bike path already!

Oh yeah. Dude they are all over by me. Where I work, where I ride my bike, even the grocery store. It's kinda freaky...Gee I wonder if people see me that way, (weirdo an all that?)
Oh well. :shock:

Latest posts

Back