Gettin' Klunky

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested in finding out what type of frame it is. I'm not too keen on frame ID yet, and just went with what I was told. I'll get the serial number off the bottom bracket this evening.

The forks are some I found on ebay. They're 1" threaded, and all chromoly. This link should lead you to them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/181328377897?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Yeah, that's a Wuler fork. The same seller offers the same fork in a 1.125" threadless flavor. As for the frame, it looks like the Colson "rainbow" frame to me.

I got the same Wuler fork; it seems really strong. I'm happy with it, so far.

I'd suggest that you get serious with the tires, especially if you plan to actually klunk.... Ask yourself: what would Charlie Kelly put on these rims, if he were klunkin this bike today?

Measure the space between the stays first, though....

I really wanted some nice, fat, and aggressive tires for this bike, but I have 2 things going against me there. First, I live in town and will be using the bike to get around a fair bit, and secondly I'm broke right now.

With those 2 limitations I've gone with Cheng Shin 693's, which should be in any day now.

Can't go wrong with some tractor-treads.... always a solid choice for JRA cruising and light trail-rides.... they won't live on serious trails, but otherwise: :113:

Well, this project is on hold for now. The threads on my front axle are trashed to the point that I can't get the axle nuts to tighten down. They've been worn pretty much completely smooth, and the pinch nuts just spin when I try to tighten them. The hub uses loose bearings, so just any axle won't work either. Hopefully I can find a replacement.

Loose balls means any old axle will work... once you ascertain the axle diameter and thread pitch, ans assuming you can get the cones and jam-nuts off the existing axle's boogered threads without damaging them--- which is actually pretty likely. If you've got an older US-type hub, the axle is likely to be a 5/16" or possibly a 3/8". If it's 5/16", it's probably a 24tpi. If it's 3/8, it may be a 26tpi or a 24tpi. FWIW, brand new Wald axles can be had in both 5/16" and 3/8" flavors, 24tpi. The Wald #188 5/16" axle comes with nutz, bearings, and cones, which may or may not fit your hub but dang.... it's $5 for all that....
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wald-front-axle-set-5-16-wald-excel
But you'll want to measure; there are axles available in most common sizes and pitches, and if you get the right one, your hub's hardware will thread right on.

Another point to ponder: your fork is designed for 3/8 axles with 100mm spacing between the locknuts. Your hub may well be spaced at 91mm. You'll want to pack some washers on each side between the cone and jam-nut to bring it out to 100mm. Otherwise, you'll be pinching the fork tangs, and I could see how that might strip an axle, especially if it's a 5/16" axle.

Shoot me a pm if you got any questions, or need some pointers.

The cones are in pretty bad shape, I managed to finally get one off yesterday but it took some effort. For that price I might as well just go all-new.

You're right about the spacing too. It'll need some washer for sure to keep from pinching the fork tangs.

Back