Getting my feet wet...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in my intro I have been into mt. bikes for years and found this addictive site from a internet search. I spent a few days lurking and had to finally join. I bought a bike from a man, and not really knowing anything about these bikes I took his word on it being a older bike than it actually was. From my internet research I think it is a Upland Cruiser. Anyway I thought what better way to learn than to redo a bike that it wont really matter if I mess up. Hopefully when I find my first vintage bike I will know what I am doing. Here's some pics...

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

Here it is as of now...

013.jpg

Here is the look I'm kinda shooting for...

KGrHqRhIFMmwCK5BQSBweiwK60_57.jpg

If ya'll are interested I'll post pics as I go.

I have a sprocket very similar to that one in the picture if you'd be interested.

Someone else had those tires on a build recently and they really looked sharp.
$10 each is a steal!!!!

Looking forward to your progress!!

Didn't have much going on at the shop today so I worked on the bike. Stripped, sanded and started priming everything but the frame.

001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Stripped...
004-1.jpg

Primed...
011-1.jpg

Also started working on a tank plate idea. Cut me out a pattern...the holes are just for the zip ties to hold it in place. It will be welded or bolted to the underside of the frame.
005-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Thought I would weld the 2 plates together...
008-1.jpg

I have to cut the bottom plate pattern down so it will fit within the frame and weld or figure out how to bolt it on.
006-1.jpg

You should call it the Cabbage Patch since you're from Clarksville. :)

chris evans said:
What did you use to strip it,I am looking for something for my frame. How good does it work.

Chris I used Dad's Easy Spray paint stripper. I was amazed at how well it worked, took off pretty much all the paint in one coat. You can see the can in the first picture of yesterdays post.

I got the frame sanded and sprayed on a coat of primer today.
004-2.jpg

I all so cut the tank panels. Now I have to work on the edges, and relearn how to weld. Been a long time since I have done any welding.
001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

Sprayed the first coat of paint on the frame today, I'm gonna let it cure over night before the next coat. I have decided I am going to go a with a different style than I started out to do. I got a chrome Schwinn style springer fork to go on it and a few other goodies. If the paint turns out well I'll post a pic to show off the color I'm going with.

I haven't got a lot done since the last post. Have painted and cleared the frame.

003-2.jpg

Got the chain guard and front fender painted one color, but am going to two tone them ...

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

This is the darker tone I'm using...

006-2.jpg

I covered my seat but I'm going to redo it. I was going with a black two tone but changed my mind, so now going to change it.

005-2.jpg

Hope to be further along in a few days. I got a frame for a fixie bike build I'm really wanting to start on but not untill I finish this.

Back