Getting Old Sucks Skip Link Chains

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had Two things happen to me yesterday that really reflected on what getting old means .....

So ther I was crusing along on me pre war roadster .... I get to this 100 foot down one side up the other culvert that goes under the RR tracks .... I go down the down side .... thru the culvert & head up & out with a pretty good tug going on to get up the other side ...... as I make the last tug on the pelal creasting up & to the right I hear a distinkt metal " Tink " noise ..... I don't think much of it & continue down the trail ......

Now my sensory awareness starts picking up a chunk .... chunk ..... chunk in the drive train .

Hummmmm ?? Whats up ????

I pull over & look at everything & discover that the master link on my 70 year old skip link chain has broken .....on the back side of the link & is still holding on barely by the removable link side of the chain LOL ...

I think I said Oh Swell , Now What or something like that .

Well I decided it was either ride with a chunk ... chunk .... OR ...... walk the next 2 miles without the chunk .... chunk

Idecided to go ahead & give er a shot & go real easy .... Light burn & a lot of coast lol

I managed to get home with out walking thank goodness !!

It's kinda like and Omen & I will share the seacond half of this story with you Guy's & Gal's after we return from Denio's swap meet. Looks like Lou Lou is about ready to go .

Were hopeing to find that Pot Of Gold , Big old Shipload pile of OLD Bicycle parts , for almost next to nothing that Im just sure are out there & still must exist ... at least in my mind

Be back about noon with the

SECOND HALF OF THE STORY
Y

Hey I'm back with the second half of what happend .....

Well the big old pile of bicycle parts I talked about must still be out there someplace cause yesterday wasn't my day at the swapmeat.... a corndog , HOT , Fresh roasted peanuts , sunshiney day, & a big ol bag of some oh so sweet oranges is all I could manage to find that I just Had To Have.

I bought Lou Lou a real nice Noritaki candy dish for $ 3.00 and that is about it.

The other thing I had to confess here with reguards to getting old is that I fiannaly was forced under threat & duress to go see the Doctor ....... something Ive been putting off for about 30 years now .

Im gona kinda condence this in saying that 1 visit resulted in a list of doctors & specialest & appointments longer than my dam left arm........ Darnit

Then to add insult to injury I now have to take 4 new Meds .... Great !

1 pill works with my blood glucose ... doctor was All kinda excited about my 381 blood sugar numbers ... stopped just short of acusing me of being Diabetic

1 pill for my colesteral lol ... hummm what is up ?? .... you would think after loosing 110 pounds that would be looking pretty good ??

1 pill to control my mood swings lol ( WHA ?? Me ?? Moody Rudy ??)

1 pill to control my Hi anxiety ....... that's rite ... the last vestage .... I gota try to Quit smoking........ Swell

I think Grace Slick sang a song about this LOL

SOOO now I bet your wondering what my problems & an old skip tooth chain & its failure have in common or what is the tie with the two ....

I can realy empithize with how that old chain must feel everytime it get's ridden ....

GETTING OLD REALLY SUCKS ya no lol

OK Im done here,

Wingman , Stephen ......OUT

( I pull over & look at everything & discover that the master link on my 70 year old skip link chain has broken .....on the back side of the link & is still holding on barely by the removable link side of the chain LOL ...

I think I said Oh Swell, Now What or something like that. )

I'm glad you didn't say ( #@*%?! or >?&%#$@). That wouldn't have sounded too nice. I'm proud of you.

As much as I enjoy bicycles, when it comes to anything chain related, I have no patience whatsoever. Don't know why, but I HATE doing anything with a chain.

Now think about what was said here.70!!!!! i hope im working that well at 50 and im just 45. we should be as lucky to last 70 yrs and not thrown away.

man now im scared to ride my skip bike! lol so did you ever get to replace the master link? or is that in part 3? :lol:

LOL ... Well in the maniacal thrash that was lets build this bike .... I had the forethought to squirle away an additional master link so now all I have to do is appoint the time to fix it ... in short take 5 min to work on it lol ....

Now I need a coupla 1 inch pitch extra master link's just to have ..... I have a few skip tooth bikes so I better have the stuff to support them just in case .... I hear the chain can break ay ...

Anyone wanting to thin your collection ??? Needed ..... skip tooth master links ... now hiring ... apply within

Oh Boy .... lol Here go's....... YIPPY ... hickup lol

Wingman ...... OUT

I know about the old skip tooth chains, I have a few of them. One of my favorite ones is my 1952 Schwinn Dx springer. Its weight is about 52#. Well with that said, I think I'll go for a ride on it and enjoy this 64 degree day here in KC.

Latest posts

Back