Getting Tanked...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at building a tank for my current cruiser but really don't know where to start. I commute on my cruiser quite a bit and thought about having a tank that could be used to store tools, spare tube, etc. Does anyone have anything like this on their bikes?

Find some pics of the early Schwinns and Elgins. The 1920's bikes before the ballooners. They had a tank with a door so you could store tools. Those early tanks are real boxy looking and almost look homemade. I think with a little tin/sheet metal skills you could easily make one.
B607

I took some flat aluminum sheet and "formed" this. It's not done yet in this photo. I'm still working on smoothing the rivets and polishing.
DSC02982.jpg

I suppose I could have incorporated a door of some sort.

yeah ive done a few(one for my dayton,my schwuffman for the kids build,and one on my elgin in the #3build off)im going to do another one for rosemary(2) guess i could take step by step pics of it and write a how too.....
illpostitlatertank001.jpg

illpostitlatertankdoor003.jpg

letteringdrawnbeforepaint001.jpg

probably wont be until next weekend though

Ive been toying with the idea of making one myself. My first thought was a large chunk of white styrofoam... sand and shape to fit, then fiberglass over it, then use a solvent to dissolve the styrofoam. Im not a real big fan of fiberglassing things and the fact that im an old sheetmetal guy that used to beat on cars... leads me to believe I can make one out of sheetmetal.

The plan... Build a form buck out of lumber then form the sheetmetal over the top. Forming a right and left half, and then joining the two together. All in all it shouldnt be too hard, I would probably have to do some cutting and welding of the corners to get it all worked out since im not setup to do shrinking.

sensor said:
if youve got a hammer and dolly youre set up to shrink(or you could do it the easy way and use a torch :wink: )

Here's the easiest way...

yoder_sm.jpg

but on a sharp corner, thats way too much shrinking with just a hammer and dolly, torch would definetly make it easier.

Latest posts

Back