Glazing Putty Advice Please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm slow, methodical, occasionally OCD. (I prefer patient and thoughtful).
I use some of that 2-part 3M glazing putty that can be found at any Autozone. Mix the two parts and it becomes unworkable in like 30 seconds. Use a little less of the red activator and it becomes unworkable in like 45 seconds. Is there a glazing product that has a nice SLOOOOOWWWWW setup time????

Thanks in advance.

lol how much are you mixing my trick is for one spoon i only use a needle heads worth i dont go for the full color i try to mix lighter than recommended i also recommend you mix in shade away from the sun heat speeds up the process.

1-part "spot glazing" putty is easier to use in my opinion, no time lost mixing, easy to work and easily sanded off. Doesn't work as dent filler, but works well for pinholes or feathering the edges of filler.

deorman said:
1-part "spot glazing" putty is easier to use in my opinion, no time lost mixing, easy to work and easily sanded off. Doesn't work as dent filler, but works well for pinholes or feathering the edges of filler.

Think it'll work on moderate rust pitting?

3M Acryl-Green is one part and made for a filling bit more than just scratches and pinholes.. good stuff IMO..

if you want the ultimate steel filler (with like a 5 hour work time in the cali heat) here it is.. be warned tho its like almost like sanding the metal itself.. .. :lol:

73930__89484_zoom.jpg

I used to sell automotive paint and bodywork supplies for almost 10 years, as well as working for a custom painter or two and I will tell you what I told my happy customers. Mix any catalyzed body filler with a ratio of a golf ball to a pea. Golf ball being the filler and the pea being the catalyst. Only mix what you can use, as, obviously, it can kick off on you very quickly, even more so if it's hot. The trick to using two part fillers is to start removing filler when it's almost hard. Don't wait until it cures or you'll be chiseling away at the stuff for hours. After applying the mixed filler, poke at it everyfew seconds with your finger. When it feels like a spongy cheese, sand down the high spots with very coarse sandpaper or a cheesegrater type bodymans file. The non catalyzed types of glazing putty are only meant for minute pin holes and light sanding scratches and, if used to thickly, can shrink and crack under your awesome paint job you worked so hard on. I hope this helped. :D

Tailwinds said:
Hahahaa, I know, you'd think I was going 50/50 right!?!? Maybe I'm still using way too much.
nah, i was at first but thats almost 30$ in hardener alone. heat is what i was thinking or or one bead of hardener too much

I was taught the color of the 2 parts mixed together should be like red Trident gum if you know what that is.
here in Florida because of the heat it does have a tendency to set faster than mormal so I always mix less than I need and add more coats to build it up were I want it.
It really is just a case of getting to know the matterial.

For minor stuff, I use the stuff that comes in a tube, at any auto parts store or walmart. usually a beigey-yellow color. Back in the day, they used Nitro-stan, ridiculously fumey red putty. -Adam

Latest posts

Back