Go Big!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just updated my bike from a 56 tooth ring to a 66 tooth ring.
Go big or go home!
cruiser-01_zpsfdfee08f.jpg

The wheels are HED Carbon MTB from the 90's built on my own hubs from the same time. The front chainring is my own (see the CO in the ring). The ring was built for a motor pace replica bike. The rear cogs are my little secret. Shimano cassette road cogs can be easily modified into coaster brake cogs. This gives an almost unlimited choice or sizes.

I am thinking about making the same ring but in Inch Pitch. It is a customer order so and we always cut spares.

Here is the same chainring as made with matching crank arm:
66small.jpg

The bike is setup with 66 X 28 gearing, really not to big, around 52 inches or so. It is setup to look more bad ... than it rides.

61.28571 GI to be exact w/a 66T crank pulling a 26-inch wheel w/a 28T cog.

66X26÷28=61.28571 GI – That is: 66T crank multiplied by 26-inch wheel divided by 28T cog equals 61.28571 Gear Inches or GI.

This formula is universally applicable to all chain driven bicycles.

Holy crap that's huge!
Funny how it seems to dwarf the rest of the bike.

Clarification of the aforementioned formula: Crank Tooth Number multiplied by the Wheel Diameter (measured in inches) divided by Cog Tooth Number equals Gear Inches

Kim_Dude:
Modifying the Shimano cassette cogs to use on coaster brake hubs is too simple. The inner diameter is almost the same, the cassette cog has 9 splines. It is as simple as grinding two thirds or them away and re-profiling the remaining three.

The product link looks to be working but I do not list the chainrings or cranks, mostly just my hubs. The rings and cranks were mostly prototypes or patterns. Also I do not intend to sell products on forums so you can contact me offline: [email protected]
Just about anything can be made but my design and manufacturing standards are very high, price just follows.

c.p.odom said:
Kim_Dude:
Modifying the Shimano cassette cogs to use on coaster brake hubs is too simple. The inner diameter is almost the same, the cassette cog has 9 splines. It is as simple as grinding two thirds or them away and re-profiling the remaining three.
awesome ! this gave me an idea .. a coaster brake deraileur :shock: 21 speed coaster 8)

Latest posts

Back