Goathead heck!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Where I live there are goatheads EVERYWHERE. I have only owned my bike a couple weeks and have already had 4 flats due to these dang things. I was wondering what I can do to up my protection against them. Do the slime filled tubes really work? Tire liners? Hard to enjoy a ride when constantly worried about these flats.

Re: Goathead h***!

Never heard of or have I seen these goatheads. PLEASE, share a picture.

There's a post on here somewhere from last year about goatheads. Goatheads are big bad thorned balls of no fun.

I use slime in all of my cruiser bike tires and it works pretty well. I don't buy the pre-slimed tubes I buy the big bottle and slime em myself.
I have tried the tire liners and they work OK, but have still gotten multiple flats with the liners in place.

GHS1.jpg

GHS2.jpg

GHS3.jpg

They grow as ground cover, with 4 to a pod. Once dried they are hard & sharp. I've seen some the size of a penny.

I was going through tires on my Riding Mower because of thorns. (weren't goat heads though) so I lined the inside of each tire with Hurculiner truck bed liner. Have not had a problem since.

Goat heads,that's one obstacle we don't have in New York. Our version is broken bottles. I had a couple of flats with the Slime liner. I now run the Slime liquid in the tubes and I haven't had a flat in over a year of riding.
i like the idea of the truck bed liner.

thanks guys. I will definitely try the slime. The stock Kenda tires kind of suck too so I need to replace those asap.

I pulled the tires off of an old Murray that I had just acquired one time and found two sets of tires on both rims. I asked a friend about it who rides a whole lot more than I do and she told me it was an old MTB trick to avoid cactus spines,etc. The newer tires were on the outside and the older worn set was on the inside w/ the bead cut out. This might help but then again, YMMV. 8)

I put around 7,000 miles on my Worksman cruiser, had a number of flats along the way, and just assumed that's the way things went.

Then I got my Raleigh Sojourn, have put around 7,500 miles on it, with zero flats so far.

Now, the bikes aren't comparable in anyway, but I think it does show that you can potentially reduce your number of flats with judicious tire selection. That may involve $50 tires instead of $8 tires, though.

Buck Masterson said:
I was going through tires on my Riding Mower because of thorns. (weren't goat heads though) so I lined the inside of each tire with Hurculiner truck bed liner. Have not had a problem since.

Got any pics of this process? Sounds interesting.

Sorry, but no. I did however think about it after I was finished. :oops:

I'm thinking about trying it with some bike tires to see how well it will work on a smaller tire. The Duplicolor truck bed liner has Kevlar in it, so I'm wanting to try that.

Also, have not had the tires off of the mower since I did this process so I can not tell you what it looks like inside there. I got the idea from a lawn mower repair man that uses truck bed liner for everything! His entire truck, a John boat, his mowers, and the steps to his shop! :D

Sweet, I used to have a rock crawler/ mud buggie Toyota truck that was rhino lined by a previous owner. I loved it, The inside floors were done too so all I had to do was open the doors and fire up the power sprayer.

Back