Goin' for a drive tomorrow.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:wink: Sorry, no pictures yet. I don't wanna JINX it. First bike in 2013, first Ballooner in over 10 years. Post pic in the evening. :wink: :)

Good luck man, don't forget after you buy it ask if he has any other bikes he's wanting to unload. Never know what kind of stuff you find that way. I once went to get a Huffy and came home with a pile of 15 old bikes.

Here's what I got! I also stopped at ICHIBIKES in DesMoines and bought a Shelby Shock-Ease springer fork. The Schwinn is a 1951 Panther as it came with some Ratty Chrome Fenders. The girls bike appears to be maybe some kind of CWC built bike. I have to run now to pick up the little lady from work. Talk to ya later tonight.

3L83m83Ia5Gb5Fc5Haccp8459e589118018e3_zps4b4c5a23.jpg

Sweet bikes!

If you plan on putting the Shelby Shock-Ease on the Schwinn, let me know if you want to part ways with the Schwinn springer on the Panther. I've got a project that it would be PERFECT for! :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see what you do with both of them!

Cheers,
Dr. T

http://ichibike.com/

Dr. T,
The Panther is going to be placed in as servicable condition as I can afford for right now using the current springer. The girls bike will be disassembled and placed in storage until I can evaluate each component.It has some cool Drop-Center rims that I don't know who made. Unfortunately the ND hub got rust under the chrome and it's peeling. As soon as I find my Camera battery charger, I'll be posting pics for some help ID'ing what I have.
The Shock-Ease is going on a girls Shelby I have in the garage behind a ton of stuff. Most likely, that will have to wait 'til Spring. I have a gazillion other bike related things to attend to in the house.
I want to take a moment to say some nice things about ICHIBIKES in Des Moines, Iowa. I didn't get to speak to the owner, but a young man named Sam, who is employed there, let me look at a bunch of cool RatBikes and let me go through boxes of used parts. That's how I found the Shelby fork. Sam called the store owner who quoted $80.00 for the fork. I thought that was reasonable as I wanted one for my girls Shelby. I also found a Shelby Cadillac girls tank in the basement the other day at home that I hope will fit the Shelby in the garage. That tank came off the very first Balloon Tire Bike I ever bought (over 20 years ago).
So without further hub-bub, my hat is off to ICHIBIKES and Sam. I was treated as if I were a most welcome guest. Sam is a TIG welder and does custom building. He also said he does Machining as well. I intend to do more business there, because I'm digging thier shop. Check out the site and swing some business that way if you can. Sam told me they have another site coming sometime in the future.

Sweet score!!

Nice finds. I've been in Ichi's shop a couple of times, looking for items, and not come away disappointed- nut for the rear axle on the wife's Breeze, period pedals for my Typhoon, neither available at the big LBS, and a front fender for my Typhoon in the correct color, definately not to be found elsewhere. They are patient, willing to let you dig through bins, and willing to dig through the back to find what you want. Good folks! And, what I considered fair prices for what I was buying. 8)

Garrysr said:
Nice finds. I've been in Ichi's shop a couple of times, looking for items, and not come away disappointed- nut for the rear axle on the wife's Breeze, period pedals for my Typhoon, neither available at the big LBS, and a front fender for my Typhoon in the correct color, definately not to be found elsewhere. They are patient, willing to let you dig through bins, and willing to dig through the back to find what you want. Good folks! And, what I considered fair prices for what I was buying. 8)

So, you in Des Moines then?

I forgot to tell you guys that Ichibike also sells Skiptooth sprockets they are having made by someone that fit modern hubs. I didn't get the details as to what modern hubs Sam was talking about, but if you guys think that's something you could use, be sure to contact them for the "Rest of the Story". 8)

Thanks, I don't really need it as I have another Straightbar, tanked out and everythimg. However, I just couldn't resist the deal. $100 for both and the guy was super cool. He ignored other peoples interest that actually lived right there in Des Moines and worked with me 'til our schedules lined up. How cool is that?Resisting temptation to sell right now. I love Schwinn Ballooners.Keepin' the faith God has an alternative plan for me.

1918 Ranger said:
Congrats Ratsphinx. Sounds like long time coming for your ballooner.

1918 Ranger

RatSphinx said:
Thanks, I don't really need it as I have another Straightbar, tanked out and everythimg. However, I just couldn't resist the deal. $100 for both and the guy was super cool. He ignored other peoples interest that actually lived right there in Des Moines and worked with me 'til our schedules lined up. How cool is that?Resisting temptation to sell right now. I love Schwinn Ballooners.Keepin' the faith God has an alternative plan for me.

1918 Ranger said:
Congrats Ratsphinx. Sounds like long time coming for your ballooner.

1918 Ranger
That's cool. God is good!!

1918 Ranger

I've always wanted a '51 Chevy truck like that. ('51 was the last year of the turn down door handles and the first year for the vent windows, Only year that had both)

Latest posts

Back