Going FAST.... VERY FAST..... like 50 mph+....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been a bike restorer and Rat Rod builder forever... and most of my bikes are built more to look cool than to go fast. But recently I've become interested in also in bikes that go FAST... VERY fast.... like 50 mph+ fast. Last summer I went out to California to see the HPV speed trials, and it impressed me a LOT. These guys are building bikes that routinely go faster than 50 mph on flat ground, and some go a lot faster than that. I don't know about you, but going fast seems COOL to me.

Anyway, the Low Riders built by TCR and Gravediggerjason have started me thinking about building a Rat-Rod based HPV. Their designs are long, and very low..... which means a low frontal area. With a little tweaking of the ergonomics, the right gearing, and a decent fairing, they could really ZING! PLUS... they are just plain COOL!

So.... I don't yet have a design worked out, but I'm going to have one soon. I'm thinking of a faired low-rider..... with a great big front sprocket (I've got a 68 tooth in my parts box) .... and a wild paint job. HHhmmmmm.... I see a world of possibilities....

:shock: Definately keep us posted! :shock:
L8 EM

A Important factor to consider in your project is weight.

a heavy bike will be harder to bring to high speed and also harder to keep it at high speed compared to light bike.

keep us posted.

a quote from the HPV web site about one bike: "....This bike broke the European speed record at 72.9 MPH in 2005."

Can you even imagine going 72 mph on a bicycle?

Could you emagine someone like Lance Armstrong on a bike like that? I'm sure it the same principle as what they use for racing lawnmowers, Large Pully in front, and tiny pully in back, If you did the Big n little sprockets, im sure those things would fly! Now that I'm thinking of it, a peddle powerd lawn mower needs to be made!

Buck Masterson said:
Could you emagine someone like Lance Armstrong on a bike like that? I'm sure it the same principle as what they use for racing lawnmowers, Large Pully in front, and tiny pully in back, If you did the Big n little sprockets, im sure those things would fly! Now that I'm thinking of it, a peddle powerd lawn mower needs to be made!
They'd probably beat him out on just pure speed, but Lance on endurance.

TornadoDave said:
a quote from the HPV web site about one bike: "....This bike broke the European speed record at 72.9 MPH in 2005."

Can you even imagine going 72 mph on a bicycle?
I hit 37mph on my daily rider and that gave me enough of the pucker effect! :wink:
L8 EM

The fastest I've ever gone on a regular bike (according to my electronic bike-speedometer thing) is 41 mph, down a steep and long hill..... and it was a BLAST!

I sketched up my concept for a cruiser / hpv speedracer bike last night. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures here, I'll show you what I came up with.

Ive had my bike 30+ mph, I know this because: I took off down the middle of this main road by my house and i went past one of the Radar signs. :mrgreen: Riding in traffic is FUN!!!

According the the book "Bicycle Science", a rider expends the vast bulk of his energy against aerodynamic drag. At 30 mph, this amounts to over 90%. Obviously, the way to go fast is to reduce this drag.

Weight on the other hand is not really a big factor on flat ground. As long as you aren't going up hills, weight is only a small problem. Looking at the various IHPV web-sites, you find that most of the bikes they run are between 50 and 100lbs... far heavier than even our stoutest cruiser-bike. A hefty Schwinn from the 50's was only about 40 pounds.

So.... right now I'm researching ways to build a lightweight fairing.

keep in mind that those bikes are being pedaled by proffesional cyclists. if one of them got into one of those bike (yes i meant "into") and did 70, that would necessarily that i could get my 5'7" 190 lb self to pedal it that fast!
to go fast, i use my GPV or gravity powered vehicle, ive had that bike over 60 several times and no time trial hpv could corner in a recumbent mount the way mine does!
fast eddie outty

Eddie... now that is just plain COOL!

I'll have to spend a little time looking over those sites!

Get an old monark sprocket or a schwinn sprocket, something huge like that and replace the rear wheel sprocket with it. :mrgreen: man once you got going you'de by haulling!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE THERE PICS OF ANY OF THESE BIKES YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT???? I AM SO LOST HERE ITS REDICULOUS!!!!! lol, maybe an explanation?!

musclebikes said:
Get an old monark sprocket or a schwinn sprocket, something huge like that and replace the rear wheel sprocket with it. :mrgreen: man once you got going you'de by haulling!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you replace the rear wheel spocket with it, then you'd be able to climb just about any hill but you'd be slower than any other bike.

i just noticed my signature doesnt have this site

http://www.gravitybike.com. you will never find a machine that uses two bicycle wheels that not only handle speeds up o 70 mph, but can manuever better than a sport bike at the same speed in sharp turns. gravity bikes are the ultimate rat rods as the stock bikes are modified used bmx frames, and most of the parts are hardware store buys and good old fashioned garage built ingenuity. rat, yes, rod??oohhh he77 yes!!!

fast eddie outty

oh wow, those things are SWEET............ so coasting only?!!? and the weights just make them heavyier??? the ones with the rear wheel covered, are they counter weighted or something?? those things are sick. i ESPECIALY like the cafe racer............ is that thing hard to control with the bars so far down?!!!?

Latest posts

Back