Going FAST.... VERY FAST..... like 50 mph+....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIMPYBMXER said:
and the weights just make them heavyier???
i think they're there to lower the center of gravity (?) of the bike so you can ride faster through bends...

look on youtube for "worlds fastest bicycle"
Currently, the battle mountain record for HPV is around 82mph.
Home built! Well.. by guys who breathe this stuff.
I'd like to do one too.. i thought of ways to encorporate rod style into it.. not coming up with much.
perhaps an EZ racers style bike (http://www.ezracers.com) (http://www.recycledrecumbent.com) counts as its kinda chopper ish?
Maybe just do a feet first bobber. that would give you enough to push a little more with your back, no?

well crap, i did something wrong when i posted my reply, here goes again..
heavier is better in gravity sports hence the barbells, heavy is more steady at speed, and hanging them low adds stability. i have another bike (my next one) under construction - an american made schwinn full 20" bmx frame with a fat downtube. im planning to fill the down tube with melted lead and have some gussets welded to part of the frame at certain joints.
the rear wheel cover is for aero, and to keep the riders feet outta the spokes.
the inverted mountain bike stem adds stability by adding more caster.
the horseshoe shaped handlebars the hands in close for aero so that your arms and chest dont act like a hood scoop.
the cafe bike was built to fit into 2 suitcases to save my shipping costs at a california race (i live in kansas city) it handles pretty good, in fact i did that last straight-a-way with both hands behind my back for aero - its not uncommon to see guys riding one-handed in straights to keep keep drag down. the cafe bike is getting a make over for this summer's riding here in kansas city, it'll a lil more for show than racing but the hills in kansas arent that fast anyway.
the pegs on the bb are for steering and to keep your knees in, a slight twist of the hips leans the bike to one side or the other so that the rider does not have to leave his/her race tuck in turns.
these things are WICKED fast, my current ride (the chrome one) has taipin rims and crupie hubs w/ seald machine bearings - hopefully to be replace soon with ceramics. very very fast coming down a mountain road!! fast eddie outty

UPDATE!!!!

Just thought I'd let you guys know of the status of the project:

The theoretical design is completed, and a small scale model of the fairing was built and "tuft-tested". It's a very clean full fairing with a maximum height of 31" off of the ground, 18" wide, and 8 ft long. Technically it's not a bicycle though. It has three wheels, 2 front 1 rear, so it's actually a tricycle..... a long, low, narrow tricycle. It is just big enough to get into and have enough room to pedal. If I gain ten pounds, I won't fit inside!

The Frame/ Shell is currently under construction. It's a "stressed-skin" type of thing (technically a monocoque tub), with welded steel subassemblies. The rear wheel stays, and crank-bracket are borrowed from a 1970's Schwinn diamond frame.... as will be the the crank, brakes, and other components.

Now.... on to making it LOOK GOOD..... visually, it looks very much like a very small canoe (actually a pirouge) turned upside down, with a few windows. Everything is contained inside of the shell, so there's not a lot that can be done to jazz it up, other than a wild paint job. SO..... I'm thinking a VERY eye-catching color, like the Brightest LIME GREEN that can be found, with a good dose of FLAMES painted on.

..... when I get time to take a few pics, I'll post them.

if i wanted "top end" would that be a huge front sprocket and small crank
i no it would be hard to start but would it go crazy fast?

From the Schwinn "Timeline" on their homepage.

Drafting a race car, French racer Alfred Letourner sets the speed record of 108.92 mph on a Paramount bicycle with 255 gear inches. Now that's pushing a BIG gear.

letourner.jpg

ok guy
you are making me do it
this pict is from last summer
she's gone through a make over in the last two weeks
it will be entered in the kansas city "World of Wheels"
along with my Murray Super Deluxe

pardise007.jpg

yes that is a 65 tooth(count em 65 tooth) chain wheel off of a schwinn XR8 exerciser bike
the back is a modified 26 tooth cassette sprocket (to keep it ridable)
i had a 20 tooth rear sprocket on there and it was great for speed
hard to get going even with the three speed hub(gotta love the three speed)
but to just cruise around the 26 is best
the chain wheel is more SHOCK factor
i will be posting up dated pict and story in the gallery shortly (just have not had time)
just keep watching the gallery
promise it will be real soon

ponytailmike
mike

There has GOT to be a way to get a cool recumbent together.. the EZ racer bikes are ALMOST there.. just a little too square.. Not to mention the Velocars....

moparmayhem93 said:
if i wanted "top end" would that be a huge front sprocket and small crank
i no it would be hard to start but would it go crazy fast?
Yes, that would be the way to go very fast.

man i was just talkin about goin down the road as fast as i can get my self goin
i didn't mean all this 60 plus stuff
just a fast bike
dang now that i read this whole thread
I WANNA GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just get a long rope, hook it up to the back of my buddy's GMC Yukon, tie the othe end to the front of my bike, and say, FLOOR IT!!!! Then I go fast, and don't even get sweaty! :p :mrgreen:

I used to draft off of semi's in college when they would roll through town. The speed limit was 35 mph through most of town so I was constantly tapping the brakes. On the edge of town it was 45 and it was a little work to keep up. My cyclo computer told me the fastest I got was 48 and the trucks always accelerated too fast for me to keep up. 48 was all the chainring I had any way. In the movie, on the wide shot, the rider is pushing a HUGE front chaninring anyway. It was fun living the Breaking Away fantasy. That movie was/is one of my all time favorites.

REFUND!!! REFUND!!!!

jeff

Back