Going to the Market

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife wanted to have a bike to cruise around town on and also use as a grocery getter. She remembered that her sisters old bike was still in the garage at her parents place and that it had a basket on it. Sure enough, I got it down from the rafters and brought it home.This is what it looked like... Before.
monark006.jpg

I removed everything down to the frame and polished up the parts and regreased everything. She liked the color so all I did was clean it up and then sprayed the frame with a satin clearcoat. After replacing many parts with new, this is how it turned out... After.
monark008.jpg

The bike originally had skinner tires and the new tires were to wide so I spread the rear of the frame to make them fit. Then the fenders were to narrow so I couldn't use them.
monark012.jpg

Eventually I might see if I can get some wider crome fenders to fit, but for now I have a plan to put a wooden insert in the space between the rear baskets.
monark011.jpg

She is happy with her "new" bike!

Later on,

Wow...just shows that even a fairly plane jane cruiser like that can really shine with a few ad ons.

The baskets really look cool! :D

NICE .... deep down inside, i think every bike needs a basket, are those sunlite brands ??? i like the fork mounts on the front :mrgreen:

WoW what a face lift! looks like you put some time and elbow grease into gettin her all shined up. looks much better with all the new white and baskets. great job man

did you make that front rack? i need one just like that for my tall bike. i only have a scwhinn rat trap front rack and i cant mount the upper collar cuz its a tall bike and the steer tube it extended. do you have anymore of that same type? thanks man

thesuicideride said:
did you make that front rack? i need one just like that for my tall bike. i only have a scwhinn rat trap front rack and i cant mount the upper collar cuz its a tall bike and the steer tube it extended. do you have anymore of that same type? thanks man

No I don't. It was already on the bike when I got it. I just used it to mount the new basket because it is longer than the old one. One could be made, it is just a thin piece of metal that sldes over the fork tube below the bearing race and then the rods attach to that. hope that helps

thanks. at first glance i thought it screwed in under the crown with the fender but now that ya say it i do see how it mounts now. no i just gotta trace one of those down.

Here's my version of that Monark....I spread the frame and then rolled the fenders out to fit the 2.125's under them...no rubbing!
100_1107.jpg

Back