Jude's finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winter riding more fun than you think.
Yeah…. Been there done that. What really gets me is the time in bundling up (and unbundling) for the ride.

a personal goal of mine has always been to be a ‘100/100’ rider.

(I made this up!)

I‘ve done single rides of 100+ miles on multiple occasions, and I’ve ridden in 100 degree heat: I needed a 0 or sub zero ride to cover 100 degrees on the thermometer!

last year I did 4-5 cold winter rides and was riding regularly in March. I dunno…. Just not a huge fan of the cold rides.

I actually did two ’polar bear‘ rides last year. One at 0, the other at -2F)

I’ve been on an exercise bike at my local gym a lot, but haven’t broken my bike out yet….. that day is coming sooner rather than later!

here’s some pic’s of some of last year’s fun!
5180FF2A-B1C4-41F2-9163-2426C8AE79B2.png
7ED2EC79-3176-46B1-92D5-B819DAE62183.jpeg
374674E7-AD41-4815-AB15-0B36513AD899.jpeg
58ACFC7A-E937-4E74-BD29-AD082E2F03C1.png
6AC7F7CB-8365-422D-94EB-CF21C88DC0B3.jpeg
D760FF05-0AE4-43FB-A7BC-B516440F408F.jpeg

2h so your climate is much the same.
Snow is treacherous; in 2021, I was still riding outdoors twice a week up until Christmas then backed it off due to the snow and harsh cold.

I don’t care how aggressive the tires are, a few inches of snow, and you just spin. I’m not wild about riding on snowy roads.

- just because you have control of your bike, doesn’t mean the person coming up behind you has control of their car!

You may find that it has a sealed beam lamp in the housing. Nice find just the same.
And a belated congrats for your skinny wheel entry. I thought it was a winner from the start.

You may find that it has a sealed beam lamp in the housing. Nice find just the same.
And a belated congrats for your skinny wheel entry. I thought it was a winner from the start.
Thanks! I was stunned that red rider Did so good! I haven’t come close to even a top 10 finish in any of the build offs ive done, so, that was a pleasant surprise! (My wife is tired of hearing about it!)

Yeah….. I cracked that thing open just to see what I had. 100% it’s a sealed beam lamp. I believe it’s a par 38.

so….. not good. I’m going to have to scramble to make this thing functional or just put it on for looks, which I’m NOT a fan of.

I’ve surfed around the net to see if I could find an LED option I could cobble in.

You might Hook it up to a 6 V battery and see if it’s bright. If it’s dim it’s a 12v.

A few odd vehicles are 24 V but the chance of that is small. (Except for huge tractors/military.)

Think so; the lamp specs were on the back side, covered in dust; I went to rub off the dust to see the specs and the ink came off with the dust!!!!
Break the back and separate the lense. I'd cut it off with a Dremel. Wrap it with a towel and poke. The lens may separate after.

Of course those things are evacuated but you can still drill into them from the back if you wanna try and convert it. You need to wet drill it with a diamond or carbide, and then enlarge the hole slowly with grinding stones.

It’s fast to break the back off with a little pick hammer but then you don’t have a Reflector

Of course those things are evacuated but you can still drill into them from the back if you wanna try and convert it. You need to wet drill it with a diamond or carbide, and then enlarge the hole slowly with grinding stones.

It’s fast to break the back off with a little pick hammer but then you don’t have a Reflector
Tin foil

Most led lens have the reflector on it and not needed as much with led. Suggested poke with a hammer because not everyone is comfortable drilling glass or the bits. But we all love the hammer.could probably just use a heat gun heat up the sides and pull it apart.

Last edited:
Break the back and separate the lense. I'd cut it off with a Dremel. Wrap it with a towel and poke. The lens may separate after.
thanks! I’m not sure how to do that! -Does Dremel make a glass cutter? The entire assembly is glass, front and back is glass.

its like a glass globe!

I’d rather source a ‘plug and play’ par 38 that is plastic/LED that I can swap in.

Latest posts

Back