Jude's finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Win for zero $, but makes me sad whenever I hear these stories of sellers that don't have integrity and follow through with their word

I had one of those deals a few weeks ago. Made a handshake deal via text for me to arrive an hour later (45 minute drive) for what I knew to be a smoking deal and probably a seller that didn't know what they had. During my drive he says his phone is blowing up and people are offering him more than we agreed to. Sorry not sorry was the end of the conversation. Turned around and drove home
Yeah… it’s frustrating: i had the EXACT same thing happen on a stingray last year. I actually got there and was looking at the bike and the seller told me I could buy the bike at an increased price Than what we had discussed (I had in writing) via text.

I’m like….. good luck bro. Turned and walked away. About a half hour drive One way.

I had an opportunity on a sweet Schwinn trike last week that ended similarly ugly….. Never drove, but NASTY, classless seller Sold the thing out from underneath me literally over a few hours.

I asked the seller why they couldn’t hold up their word and they flipped out with a beautiful mix of profanity, vulgarity and hate speech! lol

you win some, you lose some….. unfortunately there are A LOT of sellers out there with low integrity, desperate for cash Or simply selfish or self centered.

I know if I’m bottom feeding classic bikes/parts, at a lower price point, about anything goes.

at this point, my view is, regardless of what I’m dealing on via text, phone or email, its not a deal until it’s in my rig!

This…. Is a bit complicated! I‘m going to use this as a parts bike or bike, and I’m going to try to get 2 nice vintage Raleigh’s out of 3. (?). We’ll see how it goes. At least ONE beautiful Raleigh!

see below link:
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/old-english-racer-need-help-id.112029/#post-1191916
I have that bike
IMG_20210929_154423959_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210929_154358305_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210929_154455154_HDR.jpg

That's the supurbe it has dynohub locking fork and rack

I am finishing up my second Raleigh Sports resurrection. Enjoying them so much, I just bought two more Raleigh’s. As mentioned above those R Nuts are worth more than the bike. The threading is proprietary so don’t destroy any parts. Hardest part is removing the cotter pins. I finally have a good method using a vise and a socket.

I would be curious to hear opinions on reusing the cotter pins. I have reused them because the new ones don’t have an R Nut. Although there is someone selling reproduction R Nuts on eBay right now.

The drive side BB cup can be a bear to get out. I bought the park tool and finally got them out of both bikes. Although in the future I may just leave them in.

Spoiler alert, Loose ball bearings will surprise you and go everywhere!!!

Cool bikes for sure.

Stunning bike!!!!! WOW! That thing is perfect!!!!

the green is beautiful!!!!

Im looking for a (the) headlight…. I have the bracket, I think there’s a special coupling or adapter I need?

will the bracket take any light with the adapter or how does the headlight work: mechanically?
That one is a dynohub generator in the front tire,so it's a two wire set up. You can get the bracket on eBay. I just make them with metal hard to explain. If you see the bracket you'll figure it out.

I am finishing up my second Raleigh Sports resurrection. Enjoying them so much, I just bought two more Raleigh’s. As mentioned above those R Nuts are worth more than the bike. The threading is proprietary so don’t destroy any parts. Hardest part is removing the cotter pins. I finally have a good method using a vise and a socket.

I would be curious to hear opinions on reusing the cotter pins. I have reused them because the new ones don’t have an R Nut. Although there is someone selling reproduction R Nuts on eBay right now.

The drive side BB cup can be a bear to get out. I bought the park tool and finally got them out of both bikes. Although in the future I may just leave them in.

Spoiler alert, Loose ball bearings will surprise you and go everywhere!!!

Cool bikes for sure.
Thanks! Awesome input!!!!!

Im stoked on the ‘R’ nut bonus!

I have done some research and am prepared for the uncaged bearings!!!!!!

Thanks! Awesome input!!!!!

Im stoked on the ‘R’ nut bonus!

I have done some research and am prepared for the uncaged bearings!!!!!!
If you decide to open the bottom bracket get a ball joint splitter back the bolt off and squeeze it out do not hit it with a hammer. Makes a mess.

500 Bike Bruce did me a solid!

I’m looking to hop up a 24” speedster (I also got from Bruce) and do a poor man’s manta ray type of deal.

I had bought a nice Schwinn saddle from him last summer for the varsity party bike, but ended up not using:
AFCE1231-EE2E-4370-8685-5CEBCCB538D8.jpeg
F41D7EE7-8760-4471-871B-2ADC0D25015B.jpeg

While at the Syracuse Classic Bikes board meeting the other day, I saw a nice seat that would be great for my speedster build

It needed some work, but the bones were all there!!!!
B96450E0-9CE8-429B-9764-935CF9F6DC90.jpeg
80C78B34-DE79-4C7C-8AC4-ABE0404FA354.jpeg
3C953B99-A6AE-4C78-891B-C06AF820E15C.jpeg

I asked Bruce if he’d do an even up trade for his old olive Schwinn saddle, and he said let’s do it!

-about an hour of grunting the next day, and we’re on rails!!!!
3735AE2D-8FD4-4FAD-BFFD-822F90B866B4.jpeg
9E7ACF68-3295-4576-82B8-9DA97E06BF8C.jpeg
B0C28C64-DB91-4974-90A1-1B15E6ECD084.jpeg

Can’t wait to get after the speedster!!

Latest posts

Back