Golden Submarine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In October of 1918, Barney Oldfield drove in (and won) his last race at the fairgrounds track in Independence, Missouri. He was driving a Miller racecar known as the Golden Submarine.

miller_goldensub_15.jpg

This event happened less than a mile from where I'm now sitting. A while ago I was ruminating upon this, and thinking how "Golden Submarine" would be a great theme for a RRB, when this came up for sale on the forum:

golden2q.jpg

The bike, not the cat. Obviously, this was some sort of signal from the cosmos. Subsequently having purchased the aforesaid frame, I've been digging parts out of my pile of bike clutter, and have formulated a plan for action.

golden1.jpg

At this point it looks like it's a '55, '68, '74, '80, '87 bike, with parts from the U.S., England, Japan, and Taiwan. Don't worry, the modern era and China will soon be represented, also.

The building won't actually commence until after the Peddlers swap meet in a couple of weeks, when I hope to find a few more parts to complete my vision.

Well thats 2 here in Independence,dont come peepin in my garage :lol: .Seriously..good luck and see ya at Ricks swap..

wow! i can't wait to see this one! i live about 10 miles from where barney was born in wauseon ohio.
this is the second rat bike i've seen tied to barney the first was the 999 bike a few years back.

Great frame to start with. Those gold colors are great, to bad no manf. still used them.

Thanks, guys.

I will warn you that this isn't going to be a big, complicated build. I'm going to build what I want to ride, and stop. I hope you like the finished product.

Musclebike folks; is the chainguard I have (pictured in the above photos) especially rare or desirable?

I'm planning on stripping the painted graphics off of it, unless someone wants to trade me one in equally undented condition with the paint already gone.

the gaurd is very desirabel. :shock: please do not repaint it! :wink: lol!

Due to a work related situation (I've been putting in 60+ hours a week), the Submarine's been in drydock, but the looming deadline (and the triple-digit weather which has driven me inside) has spurred me into action.

Many parts have been acquired, solutions have been brainstormed, stuff will be fabricated, photos will be uploaded, and assembly is nigh.

Watch this space.

I like the main idea of this. Looking forward to seeing the product!

Hey Loudboys,

I really like the frame and it's color.
The car is one of my favorites.

I looks like you some good parts.

I hope everything goes together well.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Found a way-cool Mafac Racer caliper at an out-of-town bike shop this weekend; it's going into the build. The only kicker is that I'm putting the caliper in an unusual place to make it less visible.

More pics soon.

Back