"Goldie"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This build is a bike for my wife. I bought an old Fuji off CL for the Nexus 3 speed to go on my Hawthorne. The idea was to put my one speed on the Fuji and flip it, keeping my total cost down.
The Fuji I bought had the wrong wheel, it shoulda been a 7 speed w cluster and it also had Sugino 52 tooth cranks, wrong for that bike. But the Nexus was what I wanted, it is like new, shifter and everything works perfect.
Then I found out the Fuji had a recall on it. After 2 trips to the city, I picked up replacement frame and forks, w chain guard too! I had to provide the old frame to them. So, off came the brakes and everything. The bike shop changed out the forks, no new headset, and they changed the cranks, no new bearings or anything. There would have been a lot of problems if I wanted it back like new. First, the shop wasn't going to change out the frame, just the crank bearings and headset, because they were on the old frame and they earlier said they would. If I wanted everything done by them, it would have been a couple hundred bucks, and it wouldn't have worked that way either.
The new frame wasn't made for a derailleur, wrong dropouts. No bosses for brakes either, so it couldn't be a replacement for that bike. They would have noticed that as they started to work on it.
I know why, they don't make that frame anymore, the later Saratoga bikes are all one speed or 3 speed. Fuji should just change out the bike for people who don't have the means to do a bunch of work on it.
However, my one speed wheel now went right in and I removed the brakes and cables and put it all together. I was going to hunt for a 6 or 7 speed wheel and hook up a derailleur and shifter, but not needed now. This worked out great!
My wife will most probably need a 44 or 46 tooth chain wheel, I'll see if I can get one for the Sugino crankset. Then I can mount the chain guard. The seatpost won't go any lower so I'll have to get or make a shorter one. I left the old plastic fenders off and it turned out great. I told my wife they use real gold in the paint.:113:

DSCI0005.JPG

DSCI0007.JPG

DSCI0012.JPG

DSCI0010.JPG

Last edited:
Glad they replaced it for you wildcat! If I remember, the replacement frame is aluminum? Just make sure the rear spacing is right for the coaster. As squeezing the aluminum drop outs can put the frame at risk for breakage.

Stoked the headset swapped right over!

Lookin good!

Ha! When they put the new forks in with the old headset, the bike was still wrapped up in foam, the fork was upside down! I wasn't going to say anything, but he fessed up to it. And the cups were different top and bottom, so he had to redo the whole thing to get the fork right.

Yep it's aluminum. I used a couple washers to get the rear wheel in but I still squeezed the dropouts a little, about a half inch, so I'll go back and add a couple more washers so it wont compress at all. Then I'm going to see if I can cut the seat stem to make it shorter. It's one of those with a spring in it.

Went to the local bike shop and picked up a chain wheel and seat stem. I wound up using the old seat stem by cutting it and discarding the spring inside and tightening the adjuster. The 42 tooth chain wheel was the only one they had, but it was cheap! A lot cheaper than I saw on the internet. So, the gear ratio is pretty low with a 22 cog, about 50 gear inches, but might be just right. I'll put on a 20 cog if she wants it higher. Everything checked out on a test ride.
We will go for a ride on the Hickam AFB bike path tomorrow. Celebrating my bday at the same time. Might catch a glimpse of the president too.
DSCI0013.JPG

DSCI0014.JPG

DSCI0015.JPG

A great day for a ride! The wife loves the new bike and Air Force one flew overhead. I was reminded of my Navy days when ship made it's way out of Pearl Harbor. The bike path is only a mile or two, but good for a couple rides. I saw several mongoose but they are too fast to get a pic.
23172737_1634014599953338_6446111478510645726_n.jpg

23244221_1634014836619981_5940720703443103924_n.jpg

23213042_1634015289953269_4924889411128802496_o.jpg

23130758_1634014446620020_2202924029515629402_n (1).jpg

Back