goob's RRBBO-8 build- Raceliner - !!!!!FINISHED!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm pretty new here, but this has quickly become my favorite forum out of the dozen or so forums that I frequent. That being said, I was going to pass on the Build Off 8 because I've only been here a month or so but have decided to give it a shot. Hopefully you guys will welcome a new guy into the build this year.

The name is Raceliner.

Here are the beginnings: A 60s Sears Spaceliner. Someone has got to do a spaceliner, right?

And the current state, as I threw this together for a car show a couple weeks ago:

I love the style as it is, but this is all I've got for a build-off starting point so this is what its going to be. I have 2 great ideas/routes for this bike and a name for each of them, so as I get rolling I'll make a definite choice.

CHEERS!

Re: goob's RRBBO-8 build- "Le Tour de Rat" or "Hurdy Gurdy Man"

Nice place to start and good luck with the build !!!

Re: goob's RRBBO-8 build- Doppelgänger

Spaceliners ROCK!!!! Glad to see at least one in BO8.
Welcome to RRB and the Build Off. Newbie or oldie doesn't matter here. Just have fun!
Good luck!

Super Cool!

I love this forum because only newbs call themselves noobs, we're always up for new people with new ideas and you have to realize that someone entering the forum could easily have more bicycle knowledge than you.

Have fun, and if you build your 'liner to look like the motorcycle on the trailer behind it, then you've got my vote.

yoothgeye said:
I love this forum because only newbs call themselves noobs, we're always up for new people with new ideas and you have to realize that someone entering the forum could easily have more bicycle knowledge than you.

Have fun, and if you build your 'liner to look like the motorcycle on the trailer behind it, then you've got my vote.

That is one of the routes being debated!! But we'll see what the build holds.

Re: goob's RRBBO-8 build- Raceliner - Update 5/4! Parts & Mockup

Finally got serious and chose a route for this bike, as well as an updated name. Yesterday and today I nabbed some parts for this build:

Bronze Araya 700c Wheelset:

Bontrager Racelite Wheelset:

SUPER FRESH Cook Brothers crankset....I was super stoked to find these!!

Other goodies including a set of campy pedals, NOS Diacomp drop levers, Newer tektro drop levers and bontrager drop bars, a really cool set of campy pedals with toe clips, another set of interesting pedals, an aluminum fork, random cassette that may or may not be used, etc...

and INITIAL MOCK UP PICS!! There is a lot of details to change yet, but this gives an idea of the shape:

Re: goob's RRBBO-8 build- Raceliner - Update 5/4!

That's what I like about Spaceliner frames. They are just as comfy being cruisers as they are Raceliners!
Nice start.

kingfish254 said:
That's what I like about Spaceliner frames. They are just as comfy being cruisers as they are Raceliners!
Nice start.

That's kind of my thought. I've never seen one with a more modern fork, drops, and wheels. That being said, it still looks natural. I'm so excited to do a metric century on this thing!!

LukeTheJoker said:
Cool to see a Spaceliner in the build off! Love me some Spaceliner! :wink:

Luke.

+1 Spaceliner Freak here!

Thanks for the inspirational words guys. Talked to the guys at the LBS this morning and got some parts on order.

Bottom Bracket Adapter, courtesy of Truvativ

cr2171.jpg

Currently shopping for a 1" Threadless headset. Any leads on RRB.com sponsors that I can purchase from?

Re: goob's RRBBO-8 build- Raceliner - Update 5/7!

Went to my LBS today and found a 1" Threadless headset and a few shims sitting in the back room...MAJOR score for me! Looks like I'll be having a roller by the weekend!

Lookin' good. Since you're in Cadiz, you oughta take pics at the confluence. I think it's a blast to go all the way to the end, and see the color line seperating the two rivers stretching off into the distance.

loudboys said:
Lookin' good. Since you're in Cadiz, you oughta take pics at the confluence. I think it's a blast to go all the way to the end, and see the color line seperating the two rivers stretching off into the distance.

Not sure I know which confluence and rivers you are talking about?

I like your mock up and the Spaceliner frame. I look forward to watching this build.

FL

supergoob said:
Not sure I know which confluence and rivers you are talking about?

I apologize; I was thinking of Cairo (IL), not Cadiz. Cairo is where the Ohio and Mississippi come together. There's a park between the rivers, and you can walk out to the exact point where the two huge rivers merge. They're different colors, and you can see a line stretching off into the distance; on one side the water's black (the Ohio) and the other's brown (the Mississippi).

It's not really very far from you; you should check it out.

Of course, in your area you could get some good picks at Kentucky dam, or the 1800's village near there, or the floodwall in Paducah (a great background!).

Back