good morning!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all, i just registered after checking out the forum for a few days. i just purchased a 56? schwinn spitfire and am interested in makin some changes to it. i am a mechanic/welder at a local cement plant in redding ca. i love the things you guys and gals have done to the bikes on this site and it really is inspiring me to try my hand at it. i must admit i have almost no bicycle knowledge but i hope i can figure it out with some of your priceless help! my main hobby is drag racing and most of the use my bike will see is in the pits so it will be influenced by that.
my new bike that i havent even got yet(hope i didn get ripped off)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180457989282&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
my car
4069612572_8c2ca12348.jpg

Welcome. Nice bike, I had my eye on that as well but my wife was giving me the stink eye about it, so I passed.

Welcome to the forum.

That bike is just flat out cool!

The skiptooth set up....the vintage Carlisle tires...the original paint...I'd say you got a heck of a deal.

The only thing I'd change is strip the green paint off the springer.

spitfire.png

whew, my ignorance had me worried i might have got taken a little bit, glad that might not be the case. i will be makin it all one color not sure what.
after seein all the great bikes her i want to do a stretched job, i like the triple clamp setup look as well but i dont think ill do it to this one. i may just buy a girls bike for that. i guess thats the common way its done? i also really like the dyno cruisers, what is the general feeling on those bikes?
thanks again

Not always easy to find the original paint in that good of condition on those old Schwinns.

You might want to think long and hard before you go spraying over that....it is your bike though. :wink:

Definitely find ya a junker frame or a girls frame to practice stretching on....you'll have many a crying eye if you chop that one up.

how do you think i should handle the fork? just strip it and then what?or something else
i get the original fork that obviously matches colors

Throw the original fork back on there and sell the springer to recoup most of the cost of the bike. :wink:

no im not gonna cut this one up. i think im gonna get a new style cruiser like a nirve or felt or maybe a dyno,then get an old nuthin to play with :D
how should i finish the springer fork to match the frame cause i wanna run that one, thats why i bought it

You could paint the springer bars an off white color to try to match the paint on the front of the frame and the wheels.

Welcome :) Nice ride but i agree with Rat Rod,don't paint the frame.That bike has so much character with that original paint! I say leave the frame the way it is and just work around it :wink: But it's your bike so either way happy building!

WELCOME! Stretch a Felt. I'll watch that. :D

Back