Good Vibrations from Las Vegas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who viewed my last build. I know i'm not entirely done with that bike, but i just can't help myself. I'm going to start on another. And i'm actually going to start the thread now, that way i'll feel obligated to finish the bike :lol: and i can get some advice and opinions :!: as i go.
Okay, here's what i'm starting with:
80's-90's :?: Huffy Good Vibrations 26" Cruiser.
102_6444.jpg

102_6445.jpg

102_6446.jpg

102_6447.jpg

So far, I've decided on a color scheme. I'm going to paint the frame, forks and chain guard Rustoleum : Hunter Green and the rims a Rustoleum : gloss black. I'm going to do some work on 'er today. So, i'll try to post more later!
Thanks for watching, 2 'cents' encouraged!
Erick (rookie rat maker)

I forget the #/date scheme, but from the Ohio sticker and chain stay end, I'd say that's probably a US production GV, which would mean 1970's. Here's the current state of mine -
bike3%20044.jpg

That's good to know Deorman, thanks! The guy i got it from bought it brand new and he thought it may have been 70's or 80's. But from the research i did online, i could only find 'Good Vibrations' relating to the 90's and of course The Beach Boys :D

I got a few things done today. I found a bunch of miscellaneous STUFF i may or may not try to incorporate into this build. I found an old tank that 'kinda' fits. I can make it fit for sure, but i'm on the fence on whether or not i want to use it.
102_6579.jpg

102_6578.jpg

102_6577.jpg

I also found a bucket full of random light fixtures that came off of semi trucks, and an original Kenworth speedometer i may try to use.
102_6587.jpg

I flipped the bars (of course) and I'm going to cut about 4" off the ends.
102_6588.jpg

I drilled a new hole on the seat bracket so i could move the seat back another inch :? ('wish i had a tube bender)
102_6576.jpg

I pulled the chain guard off, prepped, primed and painted it the hunter green to see if i liked it. And i did. I think it will look pretty good.
102_6585.jpg

102_6584.jpg

These rims have some super thick rust growing on them. I was just using a brillo pad to remove it. Any suggestions?
102_6581.jpg

This picture was after 2 hours of working the Brillo.
Also, what do you guys use for primer on the rims? In my experience paint doesn't stick well to shiny stuff!
:arrow:
I really don't like this sprocket.. But it's all i have for now. :(
102_6583.jpg

FEEL FREE TO CRITIQUE!

For the rims, you can use a drill/rotary grinder with a wire brush attachment. That'll chew through rust and paint pretty quickly. Then scuff up the chrome with rough sandpaper and primer it. There are other ways to remove or etch chrome, too — muriatic acid, I think? Not fun to work with, though. I'm sure others here will offer some good suggestions.

Ya know....there is a section in the board index that you can utilize in tips for restoring plus tap into the wealth of knowledge from other builders...all conveniently organized. Check it out there is sections on various rust removal techniques.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2599

dont know how youll make it work, but i would love to see that k-whopper speedo on there! 8)

@ Vibr8 : Thanks! I hadn't seen that page before hand. There is a ton of info!
@ Xray : I have no idea how I'd get that KW speedo to work. But i agree, that would be awesome and it could possibly set a whole new theme for this bike.
@ LocoJoe : Nice example! Thanks, I had no idea where this tank came from but from a kids bike makes a lot of sense. If you happen to have a close up shot of how your tank fits back towards the seat, that would be a lot of help! :) Thanks!

EFISH said:
@ Vibr8 : Thanks! I hadn't seen that page before hand. There is a ton of info!
@ Xray : I have no idea how I'd get that KW speedo to work. But i agree, that would be awesome and it could possibly set a whole new theme for this bike.
@ LocoJoe : Nice example! Thanks, I had no idea where this tank came from but from a kids bike makes a lot of sense. If you happen to have a close up shot of how your tank fits back towards the seat, that would be a lot of help! :) Thanks!

No close up. I kinda just beat it into shape and where it ended at the back I wrapped in electrical tape. It was just a rat after all :D

Oxalic acid is the rust removal king. You can buy it on ebay in powder form, dilute in water and soak parts. Or, it's the main ingredient in Bar Keeper's Friend, could just use that. -Adam

Back