good way to restore original paint for that patina look

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this works best on old paint say 60's and earlier and not so well on really clean original paint bikes. but if you have one with say 80% or less paint and just want it to look a litle better as well as protecting the paint get yourself some light weight motor oil and rub it into the paint all over. only problem is if you use too much it will get dusty fast but if you get it right the paint really looks a lot better.

That doesnt make your bike stink? :x

Clothespin "n" said:
dumpster_diver said:
That doesnt make your bike stink? :x

no DD,thats riding naked that
makes your bike stink! :D :D

I used Synlube.A Synthetic Bike Chain oil.
It worked better than the 3 in 1

Not if you take a bath before you ride!

Thanks vroom, It was given to me by the guy that found it....are you ready for this?.... in the trash! Thats right, in the trash! Its easily ONE of my favorites :D

pastewax.jpg

"Hard finish, buffable wax formula provides a rich, satiny luster, lasting beauty and protection for all ..surfaces
Helps protect metal, sealed leather, plastic, sealed cork and vinyl"

$5.00 at your local harware store...
This stuff puts a great layer of water protection on anything and will make flat paint feel like butter without a glossy shine and no film.

OK weird it didnt post my first reply, anyway this is why I love this site. All the information and the awesome bikes. I bought my wife a Blue Corvair sportster that the paint is dull and has some slight surface rust on it. Should I try the above or go with my previous idea of wet sanding and the waxing? You guys are the master, I am just the newbie.

This is one of those things I have done for a while
but didnt want to tell anyone because it seemed
weird :shock:
I drench my chunkers in oil ...soak them , then
wipe it off with a rag. Oil finish over flat black looks
especially cool ! :mrgreen:
Just out of principal I use Harley Davidson 20/50.

-=RaTb0y=- said:
This is one of those things I have done for a while
but didnt want to tell anyone because it seemed
weird :shock:
I drench my chunkers in oil ...soak them , then
wipe it off with a rag. Oil finish over flat black looks
especially cool ! :mrgreen:
Just out of principal I use Harley Davidson 20/50.

90wt gear oil here :shock: but it works great, especially on the older British Bikes that I am so fond of....

Aaron 8)

Back