Goosenecks/stems - are the sizes standard?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm getting so close to finishing my first bike. Just need a couple more bits. I have a pair of handlebars from a 69 Schwinn Typhoon and my frame is a postwar Western Flyer frame. Are basic chrome cruiser handlebar stems generally one standard size? If I got a Schwinn Krate stem from ebay would it work both for my Typhoon bars and my Flyer frame?

all stems are not created equal. most are measured in millimeters and the vary in size.

While there are different sizes, most older (70's and earlier) non-derailleur bikes use the same size. Many 10-spds and newer bikes have larger sizes that won't fit, but a Krate probably will. Hopefully someone who has (had) one will chime in.

deorman said:
While there are different sizes, most older (70's and earlier) non-derailleur bikes use the same size. Many 10-spds and newer bikes have larger sizes that won't fit, but a Krate probably will. Hopefully someone who has (had) one will chime in.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking....that newer bike stems will run the gamut of sizes, but pre-1970 Schwinns would be fairly standard. At least that's what I'm hoping to hear.

Also...is it mostly the handlebar diameter size that is variable, or the stem itself that inserts into the headtube? Are headtubes fairly standard sizes? :?

Maybe the better question to ask is...what stem will fit my Typhoon bars and my postwar Western Flyer frame? :)

even back in the day there where a few different sizes. my western flyer x-53 had an unusual size stem.

handle bars are one of 2 sizes 7/8" or flared to 1".

i believe 21.1 mm and 22.1 mm are the most common sizes for the inside diameter of fork tubes on old bicycles.
find somebody with a set of calipures (garage,machine shop,lbs etc) and ask them to measure the inside of eack fork tube to be sure.

Back