Goosenecks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are all goosnecks that go into the headtube universal size?

yea after i got thinkin and got my hands dirty i figured it out

guess i shouldn't be so lazy haha

thanks guys!

In my shop, I always call them "stems" unless they are stuck.... in which case I call them all sorts of unfriendly names! (The worst ones are the aluminum ones with a cone-style expander. Those things just NEVER want to come out of a rusty set of forks!)

As far as sizes go, most cruiser bike stems are interchangable, but not all of them. Whenever I strip an older bike down for parts, I make sure I keep the stem and seatpost. Of course, being a semi-anarchist, I never measure or label them.... I just toss them into a pile. Then when I need a stem, I root through the pile until I find one that looks cool and fits the bike.

Sometimes whilst rooting through the pile of parts I discover some long-forgotten part like a drum brake, or torrington handlebar... and that starts a whle new wave of creative ideas.

yea i've got some layin around the garage but i am realitivley new to the hobby and i don't have one that fits

i've been lookin around but ne links on where to order one?
ll i can find is a 22mm and i need a 21mm

thank!

TornadoDave said:
The worst ones are the aluminum ones with a cone-style expander. Those things just NEVER want to come out of a rusty set of forks!

You said it bro! I've had that problem with two of my bikes, the aluminum is being oxidised and gets stuck in the forks, i haaaaate it! Iv'e had to cut of the hadlebarsholder from the stem just to get the darn thing of the bike!

Yeah, you'll get galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals, the auminum and steel combo is pretty active. If you live near the shore or lots of humidity this can virtually weld them together. Other than hot dip galvanizing the fork stem, there are some cold galvanizing sprays out there, rustoleum makes one(dry compound not the paint) that might be worth a shot keeping that under control.

Back