Got 3 For 20.00 Today....UPDATED PICS...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a pretty good deal today. Picked up a nice Murray Westport an older Free Spirit 3 speed mens with a front basket and a nice Western Flyer Grand Trophy for 20 bucks from someone just cleaning out the shed. Murray and the FS are rideable. The WF needs a tube in rear tire. I think i want to keep the WF those are a little hard to find where Murrays are out there if you look. On my initial post here i said the 3 speed was a Sears but i am not sure so i posted pics over in the bike ID section too.

za51.jpg

za53.jpg

Re: Got 3 For 20.00 Today

Real cool and don't forget to check because the Murray's date which would be the last 2 numbers above the insert line of the stem and the last two of the silver decal above the bottom bracket which also can be used for Sears Parts Direct, the Murray looks like it's from between 1989 because of the fork & 1995 because of the head badge decal.

I have Grand Trophy that was from the 90's but a spot where a decal was at is gone that might have had info on it so if there is anything you see on yours let me know and I like the Free Spirits too.

have Grand Trophy that was from the 90's but a spot where a decal was at is gone that might have had info on it so if there is anything you see on yours let me know and I like the Free Spirits too.

I will look tomo and also post a pic. I thought the Trophy was older than it is. I took the Wald basket off the Sears and put on the WF and selling the other 2. I like the older Murrays but they are tanks to ride. As for a great riding bike that i am keeping is the NEXT Laholla aluminum cruiser i found last week. For a "throw away" bike it sure is a nice rider. Love the lightweightness and easy pedaling.

Yeah when I was in the store I could pick up one of those Laholla bikes with just one finger in the right spot of the frame, the Grand Trophy's I found out were from the 70's to the 90's which were AMF's, Huffy's, Murray's and I believe Roadmaster after the AMF name was gone because I saw a Roadmaster called an Alpine the looks the same as mine except for the 80's & older style forks.

Here is that Aspen on Flikr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff4130/6357048571/

kngtmat said:
It's an AMF built WF, here is a Men's below that looks a little different but you can tell the chain guard is the same and they are the ones that had straight down tubes just like my Roadmaster made Grand Trophy.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/rece ... o60_57.jpg

How old is the trophy and is it a China bike? When did they quit making WF bikes?

No it's an American made bike from the 70's and Western Flyer was around until the mid or late 90's that was mostly American too but they had Japanese rear hubs and US made Wald front hub and other parts except maybe the mountain and racer bikes.

They were also getting higher price range in the 90's bikes like a Titan made bike who a member here that I don't remember his name at RRB but at The Cabe he goes by classicfan1 and he knows a lot more than I do about WF's.

Here is his 90's WF that he is fixing up.
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... lyer-BUILD!

Thanks for the info. I like the WF its a pretty cool bike. I like my old Murray Monterey from the 70s but those old Murrays are like pedaling a bulldozer.The WF will be the wifes bike when i get it finished.

Latest posts

Back