Got a handful of bikes (some prewar stuff added pg.1)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It's been a couple years since I have bought a bike. They just don't pop up around here much and if they do they are usually way overpriced. Yesterday I picked up a few bikes at a good price, and the best part was they were super close. I'll probably end up selling most of it but there are a few keepers. The pictures are crappy but the light was failing and I was using my cell phone.

This one still has the headbadge and is a Dayton. A little rusty but still a nice frame.

I think the paint on this Hawthorne is really cool and I like the shape of the bars.

Plain old 60's schwinn canilever frame

Bf goodrich schwinn built frame. I've been wanting on of those phantom style sprockets. The serial is J***** and is on the bottom bracket. I took a quick look at the serial lists and didn't see one that matches it.

Some sort of murray built spaceliner type bike. Actually pretty nice and most of the rust will probably clean off. The tank says JC Higgins but I'm pretty sure that's not the right tank for the bike. This will probably get parted out.

Middleweight Columbia Fire arrow. Wrong seat but it has a really cool set of fenders. The forks are bent but in my parts pile I have the exact same forks with the same patina that are straight, lol.

If i looked right this is a '59 schwinn, probably a tornado. I've been wanting one of these with the double lower bars for a while, so I'll hang onto this one. I like the look of it and thinking I'll just clear coat the paint.

Re: Got a handful of bikes

Come sell them at the vintage bike swap in Boise on Sunday. ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Rockit! said:
The Spaceliner type bike has a Flightliner tank on it.

yes...I'll concur with Rockit!. As most already know,both Spaceliner & Flightliner were built by Murray for Sears under the JC Higgins banner at pretty much the same time frame...Pappy 8)

Nice haul! Fyi for evryone, the Flightliner was introduced in 1958, the chrome frame version in 61, and the Spaceliner in 63. The Spaceliner was introduced as a Sears branded bike, as they phased out the JC Higgins name on their sporting goods line. There were also JCH luggage and even guns! Sears revived the name sometime in the 80s-90s on a basic Murray westport style cruiser.-Adam

Rustinkerer said:
There were also JCH luggage and even guns!

After Sears phased out the JC Higgins name on guns, they went to Ted Williams the baseball player. Gary

That's a nice haul! Its hard to pick which one I'd keep if I had to choose :lol:
Nice finds!!

if you want to sell the dayton hit me up i want it. lets talk about it

gbpstl- I'll send you pm when I have a chance to sort through them a bit. Not totally sure what I'm keeping and what I'm selling. If you're really interested you can always pm an offer.

The guy I got them from was super cool and really excited that somebody else actually liked this stuff. He was in a bit of a hurry and told me to come back Sunday. So might be able to get a few more cool things.

totally diggin the crank on the spaceliner looks like a little hub cap

Well bikes just keep following me home. I met up with the guy I got the above bikes from and got some more stuff.

This looks like a columbia/westfield

Another schwinn frame, this one has the brake mount in the back. The red is the original paint under rattlecan.

Three flightliner frames, one chrome and two painted. They should all clean up really good.

60's schwinn with some mix and matched parts.

Weird Austrian built JC Higgins

Girls Gambles bike. Has the really cool squared off fenders.

Pretty nice ladies spacebike. Missing the tank and the seat is a nice boys troxel.

Then this weekend I met up with a different guy and got some really nice prewar stuff.

Late 30's schwinn. Doesn't have a badge on it, looks like it was green and black. Looks rougher in the picture than it is and is a really nice frame.

Skiptooth Hiawatha, looks like is cwc built? Also a nice bike, though the rear wheel is toast.

This one looks to be schwinn too. Just like the other two it looks rougher than it is and should clean up really nice.

A few extra parts. I have a match on it's way to that front s2.

The funny thing about these wheels is that I got one of these wheels from each of the guys I bought bikes from. They are an exact match and will make a cool pair.

kram said:

I think this one is my favorite ! :wink:

great haul!

Back