Got a LaSalle...need some information

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Wasn't sure where to post this, but I've bought off craigslist a 26" LaSalle. The headbadge reads LaSalle Bicycle Supply Chicago. The frame has a straight bar below a slightly bowed or curved top bar. The dropouts are rearward or face away from the pedals. It has the flat,forged forks. It has a skip tooth style sprocket. The serial # is B69075. Can any of the resident experts help me figure out the year of this baby? I think LaSalle stopped making bikes in 54' but I could be wrong.
Now for a couple of probably stupid questions. Can the skip tooth crank / pedal /chain be replaced with newer components? Can newer rims and coaster brake be used? Does anyone know if the seat post and neck stem are the same diameter or size as modern components? That's it for now but I'm sure I'll need more help as this one progresses. Thanks all !

Pics would help a great deal... but it SOUNDS like a 40-41ish Schwinn built straight bar.

Crank, seat post, & stem diameters are common, universal and easy to swap, but it depends what you mean by "modern". To me modern is post 1960. I think Industry standard stem diameters changed slightly in late 60's(?) There is a parts support market that sells new parts for "cruisers" and "lowriders" that can provide all the things you ask about. If by modern you mean 3 piece cartridge style cranks and stemless headsets, then I am clueless :)

Thanks for the quick response Dougfisk. Hopefully I can get pics up soon. By modern I just mean easily sourced,without having to try and restore or get stuck with using the old original parts.I'd like to use new parts wherever possible. I suppose my interest in the bike is solely in the frame. My as of yet undetermined direction with this project is either a boardtrack style racer or a klunker style. My expierence is limited to rebuilds of an old Sears Freespirit, a new but personalized Huffy Cranbrook, and a Schwinn cruiser that belongs to my wife. Thanks again.

It is very likely that ALL the components from your 3 previous bikes you mentioned would fit directly onto your new frameset!

Thanks, but I was only describing my limited expierence with builds in general. So sounds like the online Lowrider part suppliers would be a better source for me since I'm not going for an era specific restoration. Thanks Dougfisk.

LaSalle didn't make bikes. They were just a wholesaler. Your bike is likely Schwinn built. Gary

Back