Got a Rollfast...Now What?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this Rollfast on Craigslist. Paid too much but I was blinded by her beauty. Now that I've got her, I can see all her flaws.

1. Frame may be tweaked cause I can't seem to get the rear tire to center. When I got her she had fenders on with mismathced tires. I put some Schwalbe Returners on and fender rubbed.

2. Bottom bracket wobbles. Can't seem to tighten it.

3. Headbadge decal is way off center. Is this normal on these bikes?

Anyway, here's the pics. I haven't decided what I want to do with it yet as far as customizing goes. Open to suggestions.

2688572000_5a32759b1f_o.jpg

2688571872_cf883d997e.jpg

2687759293_ce51aa50a5.jpg

2688571986_4c4167d49f.jpg

2687759325_8c5786dc08.jpg

I like it. I'd have kept the mudguards on though, which probably goes against the spirit of things!
Does the wheel spin true in a frame that you know for sure is straight? It could just be a bad rim\hub alignment on the wheel its self ...

does the crank wiggle (easy fix) or is it the bottom bracket that moves (not so easy fix) ? may just be the bearings arent set in there right. and it usually takes me a little persuasion to get the rear tire centered in the frame too. the rubbing fenders deal sounds like the tires are bigger than what the fenders were intended for, but i would think those tires would clear the frame stays just fine. ive ran through several bikes with decal/badges that werent on there perfectly straight. it is a nice lookin bike though, hope it lines out for ya.

Thanks for the feedback. When I set out to get an old cruiser, my plan was to strip it down and make it look mean. But I don't know if I can bring myself to do it to this one. I plan to try and refit the fenders. I was surprised they rubbed since these tires don't seemto be that big. Maybe I need to get some smaller ones. I do plan to pull apart the hubs and the bottom brakcet and clean a regrease everything. Never done that before so it'll be a learning experience.

what size are your tires(26x1.175/1 3/4 or 26x2.215)? you might have balloon tires under a set of middle weight fenders and thats what the rubbing is......or your wheel may just need trued or a combo of both...

Rolling fast on this baby might be a death wish at present but that's what I'm aiming for. Haven't had time to really look at it yet. Checked the tires and they are 26x2.125 so I'll probably have to decide what I like better, fenders or fatter tires. Like I said before, my original desire was something mean looking. What I've got is, dare I say, "cute." But, my girlfriend likes it so I'm inclined to keep it like it is for her and get something else for me. Decisions, decisions!

Back