Graf Zeppelin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to own an Aerocycle & Ron Lewis from Kentucky made the lens & gave me
an extra one which I will always cherish.

Very cool! Not sure about the bell though, yes it originally was a good luck symbol, but it is now forever identified with the other thing, peoples reactions when they see it might not be good...

Luke.
Actually the Nazi symbol is backwards of the Hindu symbol. Sadly because most won't pay attention to the small details it has been corrupted...

Last edited:
Actually the Nazi symbol is backwards of the Buddist symbol. Sadly because most won't pay attention to the small details it has been corrupted...
It's actually a Hindu symbol. I frequent Nepal and it's all over the place there...it was weird to me at first, but now it doesn't bother me at all. However, I do agree that if you do put it on a bike, you will have to explain it to nearly everyone, and some people will still get offended.

It's actually a Hindu symbol. I frequent Nepal and it's all over the place there...it was weird to me at first, but now it doesn't bother me at all. However, I do agree that if you do put it on a bike, you will have to explain it to nearly everyone, and some people will still get offended.

I also agree & will do without it.

This is a small replica Graf Zeppelin which I bought @ local flea mkt.
6qczk2.jpg

It was just an empty shell with insides gone.
142d3z7.jpg

This reminded me of Aerocycle which I used to own.
The bottom of the tank had an opening across that would
insert down to the top main tube of the bike.

2wgageo.png

The top of the Aerocycle tank had a circular opening
where the fork tube & handlebar stem would fit.
When I bought an original Graf Zeppelin, the vendor also had
a spare one, but was in very poor condition. All parts were missing
& was pitted on the bottom. I got both for a good price. And this
is going to be what I will use for the tank on the Graf Zeppelin project.
2yw9yqx.png

The above is for demonstration only & will be set down with the fork on top.
2noutu.png

With the 1/2 angle grinder I managed to create the opening at the bottom
with no problem since the metal was pitted .
I have this frame that I will be using.
2ntixlf.jpg

Being of the Graf Zeppelin pre-war German, I might install this
on the handlebars. But not 100 % sure.
35kivkz.png

I've believe this was a good luck symbol of indian origin. But
this is just a guess.
The weather has turned colder. So I will have to wait for a better time
to continue.
jake
It is originally a symbol of the sun. Often times you will see it depicted with dots inside it as well. Most folks have no idea how prevalent sun symbolism is in our everyday surroundings.

- by Gigmata

Well, if you look closely at the American Indian on the Lafayette Escadrille insignia, he has a swastika on the round piece of the war bonnet. In later renditions, made after WW2, the swastika "legs" were shortened so it didn't look as much like a swastika. Native Americans used the swastika as a powerful symbol of good luck. Perhaps the most interesting use of the swastika is the 45th Infantry Division of the United States Army, which used it to recognize the large number of Navaho men in the Division.
I'm the farthest thing you could find from a nazi (trust me) and I would still say it's your bike, do what you feel works for you.....and it is a really nice bike...I envy you and Zep!

Back