Grandfather (my first build)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the most popular dutch model as a basis, called an omafiets. A literal translation of omafiets is a grandma bike. This particular bike was manufactured by Gazelle.

The plan is to convert it into a man's bike, move the saddle to the back above the rear fender, and give it some big ... mudguards.

Will update this thread roughly once a week with progress since Mondays are my fixed garage days.

Not much done today but a start has been made planning out some small ideas. Already looking forward to the end result!

yzatyhy4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabbed a different Oma frame to test out a few things, named this test project "69 granny style" :)

No welding done yet so just ducktape atm...

7ajabe5y.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates, I was a bit consumed with a few other projects. However, tonight I finally got the frame welded the way I wanted it - the saddle will now be on the baggage rack. :)

uzure4es.jpg

jy9ezyma.jpg

e7a7uhah.jpg

a5apuhah.jpg

As you can see, still a diamond in the rough.

byja8u7u.jpg

2y5ezedu.jpg

Some more small updates to the rear/saddle. Unfortunately ran out of staples so not fully complete.

Decided to change the plan tp save my balls, been a slow couple of weeks unfortunately

Going for the frame I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, other frame was indeed too high. Here are the results so far, got started again yesterday, made a hole through the bracket, and welded a new pipe through it for the saddle (I still need to cut a slit into it and get a clamp so the saddle is tightly secured - due to the fact I'm working with a different diameter pipe, I managed to find a clamp for a unicycle that should fit perfectly).

Added some footrests too (this is going to be an e-bike - any suggestions motor & controller wise?). Thinking about building a nice tank for the battery.

eTCkusl.jpg

KOi1eVF.jpg

RHDZElD.jpg

cBphOGP.jpg

I like that bb/seatpost feature, I would possibly cut another section of pipe same size as top tube or bb and fit it behind theseatpost in a stubby fashion and install a rear light directly inside so it fits flush like a vanmoof bike.
http://vanmoof.com/

Back