Grease

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I had a pretty unsatisfying conversation with the head technician at my LBS yesterday. There sell two tubes of grease. One is Park Tool brand. I think it cost $7 or so for 10 oz. The other brand was Phil Wood. I thnk it was $14 for 6 oz. (Maybe those aren't the sizes...but the Park tube was bigger.) I wanted his opinion on which to use. He asked if I was going to use it on "a nice bike or a cheap bike." I think it's a nice bike, but I sure didn't pay much for it, so I said, "Well I think it's a nice bike."

I tried to get a more technical answer out of him and he said that the Phil Wood stuff won't break down as fast, or something. The other stuff will get harder faster and "lose its lubrica...lubri." "Lubricity?" I asked. "Yeah. Lubricity."

So what do you guys think...I am going to repack a Bendix 70 today. Park Tool or Phil Wood?

Thanks

Pete

If you ride in a way that creates enough friction to get the hub hot enough to push the limits of the grease, then go with the good stuff, but I don't think most people get anywhere near that level on their bikes. I've used a tub of standard automotive grease for years and the hubs haven't failed yet, but I haven't ridden down steep grades and gotten the hubs red hot from braking either.

Back