greased up stripper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll after i picked up the Rat Rod the extent of it's condition became clear, have spent some time stripping it back to components.

It's got some surface rust in a few places so going to clean that up.
Broken spoke on the rear rim and the red paint is coming off front and rear.. can i just repaint?

Have already fixed one of the springs on the seat but think i'm gonna switch the standard black flame seat to a vintage brown one.

All the cogs and crank were really clogged up so all the bearings and chain are having a nice oil bath (only had some GTX Magnetex!)

The tyres originally looked ok but have 3 punctures in 1 tube and the back tyre is pretty worn. Going to pick up some 26 x 2.165 white walls but hard to find some slicks in the UK (any help?)

any tips to remove the flame stickers from the frame as just want a plain matte black finish?

looking for help and guidance on modding the bike or anything i should look for whilst i've got her stripped and greased!

Those stickers usually peel off pretty easily once you get it started. Use some goo-gone or rubbing alcohol to get the sticky residue off afterwards.If you want to repaint the rims, you might want to make sure you sand the areas where the paint is peeling, or else it will just start peeling again after the repaint. There are a few ideas on the forum on how to tape or cover the spokes during repaint. It sounds like you're heading in the right direction by getting rid of the flames and seat. Vintage brown is a good choice. Not too sure about the slicks. I'm sure there are quite a few places to buy them online though.

Those stickers seem to be under a clear coat so might need a sanding.

Have found some Electra White walks fairly cheap but the are either knobbly or stratoballon so not slick. What about those schwad returners or Dmr super moto?

How would I go about bending the forks ? I saw a guy with a eat rod had done it?
If not gonna source a bent springer for the greased up stripper :)

Handle bars on the list as we as the bull is just too wide, any one fitted a cafe racer style ?

It's pretty easy to bend forks if you go slow and careful, constantly checking for the same degree of bend in the exact same areas of each fork leg. The problem is , as you bend, you are actually leaving less space for the wheel to go before you run out of clearance at the top or at the fender. A 26 incher fork can be bent and fit a 24" wheel easily enough. But depending on what you are starting with, a bent springer might be the way to go.

Re: Rally Sport masquerading as a Rat Rod

Thanks for the tip on the forks, it's a 26" fork so might be ok as want to drop it down for a lower ride but don't think I'm gonna do it my self.

More stripping to day, full bottom crank out bearings fully cleaned with teflon silicon lub and a soak in the GTX. WIll re-grease them all with marine grease before they go back in.

An interesting find whilst doing this is that the Rat Rod frame with both giblets is stamped as a Rally sport 3....but dressed up like a Rat Rod, no wonder i couldn't find an exact match on bikepedia

treated her to some fine hands on rubbing to remove a few bits of surface rusts, marks and scratches. Will touch her up bad bits before I put it all together.

The head set i had all separated but with soaking the bearing and nuts etc I seem to have for gotten which order they go back on. any tips or any one got a PDF manual i can check out?

Back