Green Schwinn Varsity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found a 1976 Green Varsity. Been looking for one since I saw the rebuilds that several of you folks have built. I want it to look like a fixie, but with a single speed and coaster brake. I need to decide on tire size and color...handle bars and seat. Any direction would be much helpful.

Before...1976 Schwinn Varsity
007.JPG

002.JPG

After taking some stuff off...
gv%20after%202.jpg

Should I go with 26 or 27" tires of something in between? I don't know which size makes the bike look better?

Now all of them could take the nice 26" tires, I think anyway. I think the older one could, fat tires anyway

This is a 71 Varsity with 26 inch wheels. 26x2.125 will fit the forks, but is barely too wide for the rear, so 26x1.75 or 2.0 would be a good choice.

sxj9si.jpg

Wildcat,
Great looking bike. Yellow was my first choice, green second. I'm glad you kept the varsity and schwinn stickers on, I'm keeping them also. Can I get 27" wheels with coaster brakes? Or do I need to go with the 26" once like yours. If I go 26" I'll probably go with the 1.75 or thinner tires. I don't want it to be too mtn bike, I already have one :roll: What stem did you use for the handlebars? What crank did you use? Would I be able to use the original that I have?
Thanks,
Jimmer

By the way...I've got an extra pair of new yellow hand grips (like those in the picture). If you'd like them, email me your address and I'll send them in the mail. They might go good with your yellow frame bike. :D

Thanks, I liked riding that bike at nearby Hanna Park. The finish looks excellent on yours. Mine was a little too tall for me. I need the standard size frame, and I had to thin the herd, so it was put back to original and sold to a Navy woman. I've got plenty of bikes to ride, so I may never get around to fixing up another Varsity. Until a good frame comes along, then I'll have to sneak it into the garage.
The cranks are the varsity cranks, the sprockets change out easily. That's just an old sprocket off a middleweight Schwinn. Others from most any one piece crank will fit also. I would go with a 46 tooth sprocket if the rear is 18 or 19 tooth.
I don't remember seeing any 27" coaster wheels, but they might be out there. You might have to buy a new one. 26" are abundant. With 27" you have the option of handbrakes to augment the coaster, but the 26" wheel would require very long brake arms if you wanted a handbrake. I just had a 2 speed with coaster on mine. 1.50 tires might be just the size you are looking for.
I used the original handlebar stem, just changed out the handlebars. That stem is a little narrower than the standard stem, so you might have to use it, everything else I had was too fat for the forks. Like the cranks, most standard handlebars fit the stem.
I also used the Varsity pedals, they are standard threads, so any 1/2" pedals will fit. Lastly, the seat uses the smaller bracket to bolt to the stem, so you may have to swap that part out to a new seat to get it to fit.

Thanks for all your help guys.. :D
Here's where I'm at so far >>>Hooch inspired! 8)
Which color tires and size Looks like I'm going 26" Black or brick or cream??
001.JPG

Then Hooch hooked me up to one of his builds, and...
033.JPG

035.JPG

The balloon tires just fit/?? I still need to add black seat and crank and grips and chain. The other thing I might want to change is to a 3 speed coaster brake??? Where can I buy brick red or cream tires 26" x 2 or less??? Do they make them??
Here is another update of my work today...I have a 20 tooth rear and 49 front/ Might try 18 and 46?? Adding chrome chain.
013.JPG

Jimmer

Back