Greeting from the cornfield

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining the forum from the lovey town of Ft. Wayne, IN. It has been forever since I have been interested in bicycles. I rode bmx and freestyle bikes before I got my drivers license, then got interested in motorcycles. Recently, i found that kids are way too expensive to be able to play with motorcycles like I want, and I started riding bicycles again. I really enjoy working on them in my spare time. Not only are they affordable, but I can turn a quick project out in a couple of days instead of months or years for a motorcycle.
My latest project is a 60's-70's Westpoint 26" cruiser. Really not sure of the year and cannot find much information on them at all, other than it has an AMF sticker on it. I bought the bike on Craigslist for $25. It was in amazingly great condition aside from the origional Goodyear tires and tubes. I tore it down and re-greased everything. While i was replacing the tires and tubes i decided to paint the rims black, despite the chrome being in surprisingly good condition. Also changed out the bars for a wider grip. The stock bars had my thumbs pointing forward and very close together (very uncomfortable).
I can't believe how excited I have been to be working on bike again. This bike is done, but I really want to move on the a 26" cruiser with maybe a 3 speed. I am trying to find a Next LaJolla, because I am really liking the aluminum frame and want to convert it to a 26" bmx with a 3 speed. This one will take a little more work, but I am equally excited to get started. Now its just finding the right donor bike. Anyway, here is a picture of my completed Westpoint for your viewing pleasure.
Westpointbike.jpg

I almost got the tandem he had listed for $75 too. It was in great shape, but the kid had already promised he would hold it for someone until the next day. Oh well, I still feel that I scored. I just can't find any information on Westpoint bikes though. I had a guy tell me they were owned by Columbia, but I cannot find anything to confirm that either.

Back