Greetings from rural CO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello members!

I am but a humble trim carpenter and part-time bicycle mechanic. I'm old, slow and all my glory days are behind me...so here I am with all of you. ;)

I've actually been registered to the forum for some time, though not actively. Never posted or had a reason to...until now. I recently started dating a wonderful lady from Salida who's an expert highwheeler rider and has been giving me lessons. I've been spending weekends over there and had the thought to build a bike to leave in her very bike-friendly town. Pawing through my storage I came across an abandoned project to convert a mid-2000's Diamondback Della Cruz to an Indian motorcycle replica, complete with girder fork, tank, etc. Well, that proved a bit ambitious, the forum that was encouraging me went away (chopperbicycle.net) and all I'd accomplished was stripping the frame and rims. In storage it all sat.

Fast forward to the present day and after looking at what I had and what's on the market now...I'm going in the ratrod direction. 2-speed kickback, dynamo hub shod with Surly Large Marge rims and 2.35" Fat Franks...you get the idea, I'll save the rest for a build thread.

Hi from up north in Loveland, Colorado area. I used to live down in Salida back in the late 70"s, still get down that way at least 2-3 times a year. I like to bring a cruiser and go bar hopping downtown. I see by your Pagosa Springs brewery t-shirt that you must like good beer. Maybe I will run into you sometime this summer at the Vic tavern and we can talk bikes and beer. Always wanted to ride a high wheeler, there used to be a guy in town there by the Amica brewery that built some really nice ones. Leobeerguy

Hi from up north in Loveland, Colorado area. I used to live down in Salida back in the late 70"s, still get down that way at least 2-3 times a year. I like to bring a cruiser and go bar hopping downtown. I see by your Pagosa Springs brewery t-shirt that you must like good beer. Maybe I will run into you sometime this summer at the Vic tavern and we can talk bikes and beer. Always wanted to ride a high wheeler, there used to be a guy in town there by the Amica brewery that built some really nice ones. Leobeerguy
Howdy Leo.

My girl bartends at the Vic and keeps her highwheeler there. I'm sure she'd be more than glad to let you give it a whirl.

Last edited:
Hi Wordbiker, small world sometimes HUH!!, The Vic is always a good place to hang out and have a few cold ones. Now I will have to ask all the girls down there which one rides the High Wheeler. I don't know if the old back could take a beating on one of those. Is it hard to ride? I used to do a lot of single track riding up behind S mountain, but now if I take a mountain bike I stick to around town and over on the railroad track trails. Anyway it is a great town to hang out in. By the way what is your first name if I can ask? Leo

Hi Wordbiker, small world sometimes HUH!!, The Vic is always a good place to hang out and have a few cold ones. Now I will have to ask all the girls down there which one rides the High Wheeler. I don't know if the old back could take a beating on one of those. Is it hard to ride? I used to do a lot of single track riding up behind S mountain, but now if I take a mountain bike I stick to around town and over on the railroad track trails. Anyway it is a great town to hang out in. By the way what is your first name if I can ask? Leo
Hey Leo,

It's Erik and her name is Christy. She's an ace rider as she's had hers since the 80's and yes, it was custom built in Salida. I haven't yet gotten up the courage to actually ride. The first time I did I crashed hard. She said, "Nice roll". That's how I knew she was a keeper. ;)

Latest posts

Back