Grip removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did some stubborn ones the other day. Jammed a pick between bar and grip, snuck the wd40 straw next to the pick, gave a squirt and twisted them right off

That's my go-to method. Do it that way all the time.

I use denatured alcohol both for removal and installation, mainly because I always have a spray bottle in the shop for fork rebuilds. Since it's ethyl alcohol, the same as in adult beverages, it's harmless to both the grips and the user, yet cleans the residue off the bars nicely and dries quickly. The air compressor works well too, but won't clean the bars or grips.

7/8 open end wrench (or other appropriate size depending on bars) over the handlebar and tap with a hammer till the grip comes off. Always has worked for me with no damage and no danger of putting a screwdriver through your hand. Learned this method that I swear by here on RatRodBikes and I'm thankful every time I remove grips.

I've rolled those thin rubber modern grips off. Like the wrench/wood and hammer, accept I use my fingernails and pull. Sometimes they twist off.

7/8 open end wrench (or other appropriate size depending on bars) over the handlebar and tap with a hammer till the grip comes off. Always has worked for me with no damage and no danger of putting a screwdriver through your hand. Learned this method that I swear by here on RatRodBikes and I'm thankful every time I remove grips.

That's the way I do it. It's worked every time.

Back