GT BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thats a cool color, why black? too many black bmx bikes..
552959_336383763099449_1147981694_n.jpg

newschool bmx has wild colors anyways.. might as well call em 'the flying circus'
The_Flying_Circus.jpg

www.jpg

but im 99.99% sure that frame isn't full cromo, probably not even front triangle cromo.. thats hightensil steel..
mine up above is just a cromo front triangle not full.. and gt doesnt build the best bikes anymore.

just some info there..

sucks about the theft... that always is terrible.. :/

good luck with the build man
'id leave it teal, but thats just me :roll:

This is gonna be a sweet build for your boy! I am a big fan of anodized red!!!

Peatbog said:
We're going black because that is the color my son wanted. I like colors myself, but it's his bike.

The frame is full 4130 chromoly. It is a 2010, and that year they made the GT El Centro frame full chromoly. In 2011, the main tubes were chromoly, but not the rest.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/50360#.UI5uPIZ2NaQ

You can check in the GT archives also.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/media/pdf/g_10_Catalog_BMX.pdf

well even if so its strange to have a full cromo frame with a standard headset from 2010..

yeah i like color too but if he wanted black, thats cool i too.. i was just sayin black bikes soo common on bmx, like literally 7/10 bmx bikes i seen around are black..
but i guess thats just the fad now :roll:
i think later im gonna paint my black bmx bike something pretty when i get some money.. maybe a metal flake :)

iven said:
Peatbog said:
We're going black because that is the color my son wanted. I like colors myself, but it's his bike.

The frame is full 4130 chromoly. It is a 2010, and that year they made the GT El Centro frame full chromoly. In 2011, the main tubes were chromoly, but not the rest.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/50360#.UI5uPIZ2NaQ

You can check in the GT archives also.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/media/pdf/g_10_Catalog_BMX.pdf

well even if so its strange to have a full cromo frame with a standard headset from 2010..

yeah i like color too but if he wanted black, thats cool i too.. i was just sayin black bikes soo common on bmx, like literally 7/10 bmx bikes i seen around are black..
but i guess thats just the fad now :roll:
i think later im gonna paint my black bmx bike something pretty when i get some money.. maybe a metal flake :)
If you want a metal flake check this site out! Awesome finishes even in rattle bomb form!
http://www.rothmetalflake.com/main.html

Peatbog said:
iven said:

It is not a standard headset; it has an integrated headset.

Metalflake would be cool on a BMX bike--especially that heavy metalflake they use on boats. I like picture you put up of the old airplanes--it give me some paint ideas for future bikes. Matte black seems to be a common color on about all bikes recently. I was looking for a bike for my daughter and was a little annoyed that almost all the bikes I found in her size and style were dark and matte finish colors--many were matte black. I want a bright color for her bike so it is easier to see by drivers. One bike shop owner told me several people have told him the same thing, as in where have all the bright, shiny colors gone? That conversation came up because that shop had a bike that was perfect for my daughter, but it was matte black, so wouldn't but it. I want a bright, shiny color for a bike my kid will sometimes ride on the road. Bike companies sometimes seem to think one thing whilst buyers think something else.

I am not concerned about the color of my son's BMX because he rides it only on trails and back in the woods were some really cool jumps and ramps have been built.

oh, ok then that makes perfect sense, the gryo threw me off and i thought 'standard HT on a full cromo frame' who does that!? but haha guess my eyes were playin dumb..

anyway yeah.. honestly im gettin tired of black bikes too :roll: they being soo common lately..
i not sure if i want to paint my bike, or cover it in 3m tape..
3M-uscg-wht-bg.jpg

but yea, i like dirt jumping..
i think i may like it better then park riding, idk the parks i been to not great anyway :lol:
but dirt jumpin with buds is fun.. here one my friends jumpin another :p
180854_126339500770544_8034946_n.jpg

Peatbog said:
The gyro is coming off. It seems silly that GT would bother to use a full chromoly frame to get the weight down and then put a gyro on the thing. I'm leaving the tabs on the head tube though in case my son ever wants the gyro back on.

That 3M tape would be cool! Imagine that at night when light hits it! It would look like moving fireworks.

Exactly the point! haha XD

but eh, i like gyros.. you can get alloy ones that weigh like nothing..
its really annoying to me when i hear guys take off their brakes cause they seem to think they weigh like 3lbs :roll: :lol:

if you like riding brakeless then whatever, thats fine. but people do the dumbest things for no reason half the time..
like it really P'sss me off when i see kids riding down the street on a bmx bike with the bars foward at a 45% angle like there' on a lowrider :roll: or even sometimes them all the way 90* out there.. What the heck they doing that for??!?
and its usually like middle school kids :| they don't need the leg room anyway so what the heck is that about >???

I used to ride brake less and still do on my Bmx. But I throw my leg over and lock my shoe in between the rear tire and the seat stays and it will stop just fine. When I was younger I could drift around corners like that. Kinda eats tires and shoes though.

Gonna look sweet Peat, don't mind the hater's that black and red's gonna be the envy the neighborhood fo sho!!

It's your bike so build it how you want it and don't worry about haters. I think the black and red will look sweet.

hey look sorry if i came off wrong peat.. :(
im not trying to hate you or the build or anything, i was just asking questions in a stupid manor that makes sound like a jerk 'i didnt mean to sound like that'
i just come off wrong sometimes..
to let me clarify,
i was quoting how some people think taking off the bakes makes their bike way lighter 'obviously you didnt mean anything like that'
your being more practical with the build and removing parts that are unnessary to your sons riding style..

and i said 'the gyro made me think it was a standard headset' which usually frames that dont have an integrated headset which a newer 2010-11 frame wouldn't be standard and full cromo.
i just misunder stood and came off wrong..
like how i said 'GT isnt the best company' i really meant, that they are not as great as they use to be, not as well known anymore.. they still build some great frames for race and park mostly Downhill they focus on now.. honestly i love GT, kinda what started my old bike obsession but i really love the old school Gts, and the new ones dont look a thing alike..

so anyway, im sorry if i came off as a jerk or hater i was really just trying to give my honest opinion about it..

but really you have a nice bike right there..
and when you get those red wheels on there it will look even cooler :)

'oh and i just scrolled to the bottom and saw your post, your correct.. i wasnt trying to Hate on Anybody.. im just a real Crittic about anything Bmx' :? :oops:

and another thing "BMX bikes and kids--there's a sure recipe for broken parts." Best quote i seen in a long while now.. :lol: :p
Bmx bikes * anything is recipe for broken parts.. people ride like mad like them 100* harder then you would on any crusier
:lol: 'find my self trying to restrain from jumping crubs on my stingray, but on my bmx...
1722070662_5153a8d501.jpg

every curb and any obsecure thing in the road looks like this to me..

Another thing.. i dont really know why i got a black frame..
i liked the parts it had and the shop was also trying to get rid of the 2011 models at the time..
i think also at the time i was thinking that i would have to 'or want to' get a new better frame another day. 'new bmx not cheap at all' :(
frames aftermarkets from around $220 up to as much as $400..
a custom S&M park frame is $550
freestyle frames range $250 to $450
and dont even get me started with race frames..... redline full carbon race package 'frame,fork,wheels,cranks' $3,500 i believe.. maybe more now..
stock GT pro xl and xxl race alloy frame completes just about $2,250..

it sucks being a poor kid that has to buy all your parts... :?

but yeah, next time i get some cash im probably gonna pick up one of those rattle spraybomb flake paints and see how well it looks.. :lol:

i still like my reflection tape idea too.. maybe thats why i didnt care that it was black, i never was fond of the color when i bought it.. i donno i buy things impulsively sometimes..
especially when it comes to bike stuff :roll: :lol:

Peatbog said:
Okay, iven, let's start over! All is well.

And speaking of BMX racing: My kid has been interested in racing, so over the past spring and summer, I called the number given on the website for a reasonably local BMX track (Akron, Ohio)--I called multiple times and left messages; I emailed multiple times; I went to the track and left my name with people who said they would get back to me. No one ever returned a call, an email, or got back with me. Some great way to get more kids involved, eh? I guess they aren't really interested in gaining new riders.

i donno thats strange :/
usually tracks yeah really want more racers..

i wish i could get into racing, but i would probably have to buy all my stuff and im always broke.. and my moms cheap.. my dads not but he lost his job awhile back and broke too..
it also affects my builds cause my mom 'currently stuck with' she doesnt really support my bike building :( always on me about 'arnt you gonna sell those junk bikes' and dont get more bikes we dont have room for that.. :roll:
only way i get money is bike sales.. i probably should get a job,.. almost 18 feel kinda eh i donno.. i just dont want to get a job here and then have my dad get aplace and have to start over again..

good luck with the race thing, my parrent wanted to try to get me into race when i was young but never even showed me anything about it.. i was more intrested into my Legos! at the time xD :lol:

Peatbog said:
Here it is so far. I have a used seat and seat post in good shape which are going on. Sam (my son) decided he wanted the gyro on this bike after all, so that is going on. All the brake parts are used but in decent shape. I need to finish the brake cable set-up and get a seat post clamp. I have some used pegs for the left side of the bike which are going on. I put the wrong grips on and have to change them--the other ones match the pedals better. The sprocket color is a near exact match for the wheels and stem but the flash blew it out. The frame has a satin/matte kind of sheen. The overly-shiny areas are from the flash reflection.

Blackbikewithwheels.jpg

This should be done tomorrow.

yeah man that looks pretty cool..
my frame is like the same exact type of color/paint its kind of satin and in places where i grab it to pick it up and move it or whatever its started to get a shine on it..
kinda strange.. new stuff, once you get the first scratch.. its whatever after word though :p
like i love chrome on bikes, but you might baby it 'like i did' untill it gets scraped then whatever..
kinda what makes me want to sand all my bike down to bare metal and polish scratches out haha let it get ratty from time to time..

but yeah, bmxers are usually a pretty cool group of people 'almost anyone on two wheels' :roll: :p
just have fun mostly :)

i still dont really know my style of riding either, im kinda new to bmx.. i like dirtjumping, park is alright.. never seem to find many things to do street but i donno..
i got a freestyle bike and i did a bar spin the first time i tried, i want to learn a 'steamroller' and 'the surfer' the bike needs work though..
317737_402172976520527_458513980_n.jpg

i like to go fast to.. 'maybe its a guy thing' :roll: but yeah.. maybe im a racer? i really have no clue what sort of bmx best suits me.. i kinda like all of it.. 'im rather competitive so i think that would make me a good racer' but i like tricks too <:p
here my old school Gt race bike..
334751_402171406520684_1815574357_o.jpg

just got her new shoes.. :roll:

gonna go with a red seat or post too?
thats a really cool looking ride you built him there.. :)

what do you ride peat?
you go on a 20 or 24" ?

iven said:
i liked the parts it had and the shop was also trying to get rid of the 2011 models at the time..
i think also at the time i was thinking that i would have to 'or want to' get a new better frame another day. 'new bmx not cheap at all' :(
and dont even get me started with race frames..... redline full carbon race package 'frame,fork,wheels,cranks' $3,500 i believe.. maybe more now..

but yeah, next time i get some cash im probably gonna pick up one of those rattle spraybomb flake paints and see how well it looks.. :lol:

i still like my reflection tape idea too.. maybe thats why i didnt care that it was black, i never was fond of the color when i bought it.. i donno i buy things impulsively sometimes..
Well Iven, if you got it at what was the only shop in town i know why it was black. THATS ALL THEY HAVE! Vans rocks :lol: At least we have a new shop open so there's another option in town finally!

Peatbog lokks great and hope he enjoys it. I'm guessing you will probably be taking it out every once and awhile also for some quick lines/runs/jumps :wink:
I wish my kid was interested in freestyle or skating but it just doesn't do it for him(I won't push since that may drive him away later in life)...you're lucky!
Looking forward to seeing more.

sensor said:
iven said:

Well Iven, if you got it at what was the only shop in town i know why it was black. THATS ALL THEY HAVE! Vans rocks :lol: At least we have a new shop open so there's another option in town finally!

Peatbog lokks great and hope he enjoys it. I'm guessing you will probably be taking it out every once and awhile also for some quick lines/runs/jumps :wink:
I wish my kid was interested in freestyle or skating but it just doesn't do it for him(I won't push since that may drive him away later in life)...you're lucky!
Looking forward to seeing more.

dude your still in yuba and you havent come ride with me man? what up with that?? :roll: :lol:

anyway yeah vans is nice, i like how they have inventory in the shop..
thats acutally where i bought my tires for the machone.. 8)

but aye peat, thanks.. i love my Machone GT i never exactly sure on year.. but i believe its one of the early few American made full Cromo 1990's ones :D
its like 98% og too 8)

oh and the 'Funky frame bmx' thats my Freestyle/vert Flatland bike :)

but serously Sensor, we should like ride sometime.. i dont know anyone here that wants to ride or even has a general interest in bikes or building..

Back